paper platinum group metals?

Discussion in 'Platinum' started by SilverKendo, Jan 7, 2015.

1. SilverKendo

SilverKendo New Member

Hello all,

I am interested in diversifying a little bit into the platinum group metals. Unlike my gold and silver which I have physical I think I would rather have my platinum group investments in paper. I think it is because it will get confusing for me trying to add bits of PT and PD to the stack. I think paper will give me some exposure to the metals without the coins or bars getting lost in the silver pile. Here's the thing though; I have no idea how to invest in paper metals. Can someone point me in the right direction on how to do this and where I can buy the shares? I am a total newbie on this so any links or advice is welcome.

Thanks,
    Chris

2. whinfell

whinfell Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Assuming you're in Australia, the best way is probably to buy ETFs on the ASX - specifically ETPMPT (Platinum) and ETPMPD (Palladium); alternately there is ETPMPM which is a mixed basket of gold, silver, platinum and palladium. Basically these all track the spot price of the underlying metal(s).

3. SilverKendo

SilverKendo New Member

Hi whinfell,

Thanks for the reply. I should have mentioned I'm in the US. I'm assuming if I am in the US I cannot buy ETFs on the ASX?

4. whinfell

whinfell Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Unsure whether a US investor can/can't buy ASX ETFs and shares, but I think you'll find there are equivalent precious metals ETFs available on US share markets.

5. phrenzy

phrenzy In Memoriam - July 2017 Silver Stacker

I'm pretty sure there are services that allow retail investors the states to buy shares on the ASX. With our tanking dollar it probably isn't a great idea though, you'll lose 5%-10% as the exchange rate drops over the next few months.

I'm almost certain that there are equivalent ETFs in the states though. You could look into buying actual commodities contacts but an ETF will be much easier.

6. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

7. phrenzy

phrenzy In Memoriam - July 2017 Silver Stacker

I keep reading good things about palladium, anyone know of a good low premium option for that or is an etf the way to go?

8. SilverKendo

SilverKendo New Member

Hello all,

Thanks for the replies. I am really interested in platinum group metals but I wouldn't be dropping large amounts of cash at once so I don't think the ETFs will work for me. My funds for investment are small but regular. Even with an online discount broker the fees would eat up too much unless it went to the moon and I'm not going to make that bet. I guess I will look into buying some physical. Thanks again!

9. Kam

Kam Active Member Silver Stacker

You can get some fracional Pt bars or coins but the premium over spot will be higher than a 1oz bar/coin

10. SmartyFarty

SmartyFarty Member

Platinum investment demand has grown from nearly 0% to about 10% of annual production in the space of about 10 years