Panda Market Prices - Confused

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by Dave92029, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Dave92029

Dave92029 New Member

I'm a NewB from the US who has just recently purchased his first three Silver pandas.(2009, 2010, 2011) I feel most comfortable buying NGC MS69 coins.

The prices being asked for Silver Pandas seem all over the place, more than I have seen when buying US Coins. I have read this forums Pandas beginners guide which I appreciated. I hope by buying coins which have been graded by NGC that I can avoid getting a fake.

I'm aware of Pandamerica's book and price guide, but after looking at their web site's prices asked for the coins they have for sale, I Ihave decided not to bother with their price guide.

I recently purchased a 2009 30th Anniversary NGC MS69 for us$84 including shipping. This same coin is offered by a variety of sellers on ebay with prices ranging from $84 -$400.

It confuses me why so many people with the same coin will offer it for sale at such a hugh price range. I understand that the mintage on the 2009 Silver 1 oz. coin was approx. 600,000 so there are plenty of these coins available, they are not rare.

My question is there a place to see what the fair market value of NGC MS69 coins are?

Does anyone know what the population reports for the 2009, 2010, & 2011 are in MS69?

Thank you in advance for assisting this confused newB

2. tamo42

tamo42 New Member

The Chinese coin market is still very young and immature. As a result price volatility is high. The *average* range of a Chinese modern coin is 50%.

As for fair market value, who knows. It's whatever a buyer and seller agree to :)

3. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Welcome :). It's great to be in the US, many bargains to be had right now.

The reason for this is because the Modern Chinese Coin market is extremely immature compared to the US market. Prices are volatile and many buyers and sellers do not know what is a fair value for their Chinese coins.

Buying NGC definitely reduces chances of the coin being fake, there are rumours of 'fake slabs' but I haven't seen any fake NGC slabs yet. But best to keep an eye out anyway, it's relatively simple to look up the ID on the NGC website to verify authenticity.

Panda book is written by Peter Anthony who is different from the Peter Yeung of PandaAmerica. Same with the price guide, it's written by Peter Anthony.

Lots of sellers are fishing for bites, they don't expect to sell them I guess, but they wouldn't mind selling at $400. Basically by relisting a few hundred times, in the future the seller may realize his ask price of $400. This isn't the rarest coin out there but there are plenty of buyers for this coin at $100 price level, especially the overseas market.

Nowhere really, Panda Pricepedia by Peter Anthony is a start. You could also search eBay for completed listings. The thing is though, many of the pandas have thin levels of sales and as such there isn't much data points to go on and prices become volatile.

You can check NGC website. I also replied here: http://forums.silverstackers.com/message-292982.html#p292982

4. серебро

серебро New Member

[imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/4162_pandabubble.jpg][​IMG][/imgz]

5. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hi Dave92029,

welcome to the Panda Forum @ Silverstackers!

Thanks for your questions.

Yep, NGC is one Panda path to go down. Along this road you will find Tamo42.

I'm more down the OMP route... but I'm also getting my feet wet in the NGC pool.

Yep, the book to get is the Panda Book by Peter Anthony (not the Panda America book).

In regards to price volatility: For one off purchases (e.g. 1 Panda at a time) there is a lot of volatility for many reasons, but for investment purchases (e.g. >20 Pandas at a time) the prices are relatively stable.

Ebay is still a buyers paradise more than a sellers paradise, so head across to Ebay for the Bargains (but I usually don't buy my Panda from Ebay... don't think I ever have... due to a host of reasons). If I wanted to buy 10 or more of the same Pandas, I would likely search somewhere other than Ebay.

APMEX and Peter Anthony's Pricepedia are my preferred priceguides for Pandas - and usually the prices between the two are fairly similar.

Congratz on the prices you got! BARGAIN!

2009 Panda is worth around $80-$90... additional $31.50 for grading... it's worth at least $111.50 (and possibly a bit more too!).

A mintage of 600,000 is fairly small actually. I estimate at least 100,000 nominal Panda collectors worldwide, with at least 20,000 hardcore collectors (like Fishball and heyimderrick). Most nominal collectors will have more than 1 of each Panda; and most hardcore collectors like Fishball will certainly have more than just a couple.

[​IMG]
    Source: Fishball

[​IMG]
    Source: heyimderrick

A few more things I want to say, but I gotta run...

Welcome again to the Panda Forum @ Silverstackers! :)

PS> Then there are people like Comeaux who are just really really special:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Source: Comeaux

6. silverstalker

silverstalker Active Member Silver Stacker

WOW thats a lot of pandas guys! very shiny :cool:

7. heyimderrick

heyimderrick Active Member

Dave, I encourage you to keep looking through the panda forum archives. There are a lot of great threads about valuation, grading, conservations, OMP vs. NGC, etc. You'll find tons of helpful information. Welcome aboard.

8. MrOrganic

MrOrganic New Member

some familiar faces around here! :)

9. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Welcome! Welcome!

10. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

Welcome

11. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Funny how you're posting from the same IP addres as another brand new user in the same thread elsewhere...

12. Dave92029

Dave92029 New Member

Could not sign in again so I reregistered...:)

13. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

With the ccf nick?

14. серебро

серебро New Member

ccf?

15. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

16. серебро

серебро New Member

17. Dave92029

Dave92029 New Member

I never received the confirming email. Requested it several times but nothing so I reregistered... No big deal is it?