Palladium

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by trav, Mar 28, 2012.

1. trav

trav Member

I've just been browsing through various precious metals sites that list the spot on Palladium yet they don't actually offer it for sale!? I've been mainly silver in the past with a wee bit of gold but want to just spread my fiat among more than just the norm. Platinum is something I was looking at but for once in my life I just want something unique.

Preamble over - where is the best place to grab some palladium in the metal (as opposed to in the paper)?

Cheers..

2. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

I have owned Palladium as well in the past - constructed a deal whereby i gave
    both gold and silver for it.
    ( from memory it was the 2.5 Pesos ( around 0.06 oz agw ) and 10 Francs ( around 0.72 oz asw )
    for a 1/10 oz Pd coin, sold it into cash at a profit (albeit not a great one ) - but owned the coin nonetheless for a period of time, long enough to inspire me to write this post 6 months or so later

:D

anyways,

Pd is a bit harder to get, and you should notice that it is the precious metal ( excluding Rh and other exotics ) which generally speaking has the highest premium per oz!

Try eBay and Google, or wait for some other members experiences and direction.
    But imo, anyone who has more than $10k in metals, should have at least one coin from each one of the major 4 precious metals.

3. LovingtheSilver

LovingtheSilver Active Member Silver Stacker

4. DSK

DSK Active Member Silver Stacker

I bought some a couple of years ago...paid $450 each

besides a premium, you pay gst on palladium..

5. SULLA

SULLA Member Silver Stacker

Why?

6. Cimexus

Cimexus Member

Yeah this is the main reason I've never really had much interest in it. I'd like to have a wee bit of platinum (couple of those platypus coins would be nice - I actually prefer the design on those to most of the roos, kooks and koalas), but don't really want to waste money paying GST on palladium. If I was going to get some it'd probably be some PAMP bars though.

7. Lunarowl

Lunarowl Active Member Silver Stacker

Can you make jewellery from palladium? it has that nice burnt/dark shiny colour :p

8. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Palladium was used extensively for jewellery in the post-WW2 years as a cheap substitute for platinum, especially in wedding rings as lots of people getting hitched at that time - what with there being not much platinum around (especially with West's relationship with Russia turning sour) and gold-palladium alloys being easy for jewelers to work with meant it was used quite a lot.

One of the reasons palladium isn't considered a precious metal for tax purposes in Australia is because the definition of "precious metals" was originally written back in the late 1950s and, back then, palladium was just "poor man's platinum". Of course it still is "poor man's platinum" in a lot of ways but technology has improved to such an extent that palladium is actually a good substitute for platinum in a lot of high tech applications which will probably make it more and more valuable as time goes on.

9. SilverSanchez

SilverSanchez Active Member

Just my opinion but because buying Palladium incurrs GST in Australia, if i were to participate in palladium i would do it through the ETF Securities stock ETPMPD.

Palladium is not recognised as a PM by many (hence the GST on physical) - but it is a very important strategic metal along with all the PGMs.

I advocate physical delivery and ownership of Gold, Silver and Platinum - but palladium, rhodium etc I only own through the derivatives such as etfs, stocks etc.

10. trav

trav Member

I advocate physical delivery and ownership of Gold, Silver and Platinum - but palladium, rhodium etc I only own through the derivatives such as etfs, stocks etc.

I don't have the sort of money to get involved in things like that. I'm a small fish in the small pond so wanted to grab some so at least I have a little bit of everything.

I bought some a couple of years ago...paid $450 each

I think I found the site you referred to. the pamps do look pretty cool :) cheers everyone

11. Big A.D.

Palladium is recognized as a precious metal by the International Standards Organization, the national governments and central banks of many countries (including some quite significant ones, like the United States), the world's commodities markets, banks and industry.

The only reason it's not recognized as a precious metal here is because nobody has gotten around to amending the original tax law from the 1950s.

Everyone else has it together - we're the ones who are backwards.

12. Big A.D.

That site isn't mentioned by name on the forum due to a very unfortunate experience one of the members here had with their customer service and the way the company handled the issue.

13. LTEK4NZ

LTEK4NZ Member Silver Stacker

palladium $625 ish a Oz buy one ounce at a time from ova seas and you pay no tax. YAY rack up the postage costs though.

but by the tone of this thread. people only want one or two Oz or even just a small fraction. so not so big a deal

14. REDBACK

REDBACK Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Treat Palladium like Radiation,excellent in extremely small doses.

REDBACK

15. possum

possum Member Silver Stacker

Trav i bought some palladium last year, pm me if you want to know who from. I did have to wait a while for it though.

Possum

16. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

17. Argentum

Argentum Well-Known Member

i bought 1 of those 1gram buffalo bars couple of years back. On fleebay the premiums on 1gram bars is huge, i suggest you grab at least a 1/4 oz the premium drops substantially. Last time i checked on fleebay 1 gram bar was selling for $96

18. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

Heheh

Didnt SS actually have a sponsor once ( last year sometimes, i think it was Roo ) list Pd bars? and a lot of them
    Maybe even 10 oz bars ( in Pd !! )

19. REDBACK

REDBACK Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

^^^
    What THYCY said
    Absolutely and from memory in "this forum he found them hard to move.
    Its easy to be theoretical about Palladium and Platinum,however spend 20-30k then try to liquidate .Its excruciating for a number of reasons.
    Stick to Gold and Silver there is enough speculative and store of wealth options in both of these metals.

REDBACK

20. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

Assuming it was actually Palladium....