[OPINION] Today I want to complain...

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by jiman, Jan 13, 2012.

1. jiman

jiman New Member

SUbject might be little bit misleading. Actually I whining this same thing over and over again.
    It's the "stupid" VAT (Value Added Tax) which I have to pay when buing Pandas outside EU.

I have read some of you Australian worried GST same as VAT and it's "only" 10%
    Time to time I see this forum that you only pay if import more than 1000 AU$ ???

You can correct me if I'm wrong... okey back to whining part :)

I would basicly have to pay every time 23% from total value coin+shipping. If it is more than about 54 AU$
    And buying from US ebay shipping fee can be 50 US$ for one shipment. Because some people miss use the system so sellers want tracking and full insurance which obviously are not free.

One example I bought panda worth 10 yuan...melting value 28.73 AU$ shipping more than face value and melting value combined.
    I pay VAT over xxx <-- 3 digits. Might be only my opinion but I think it's not fair to pay VAT basicly collecting value.
    Ofcource like people at customs say it's merchandise but I pretty sure no one or let say 99% don't pay nothing for the coin or about what the silver is worth.

Ofcourse there are some people that put low value so it go throw customs.
    I'm not consider myself a big criminal if I don't pay VAT every time. I have paid a lot already.

Next thing. Lot of nice Pandas in US but they don't ship outside US...

I would like to have some US friends or people that could help me get pandas time to time.
    Buying / shipping pandas with lower values etc. I could pay small fee for trusted volunteer.
    Might not be often because I'm not rich and I only buy silver because gold is too expensive.

I'm trying to collect all regular 1 oz BU silver pandas.

I don't have made lot of post here but I have read a lot. So don't know do you fellow forum people trust me etc.
    Actually I have bought many times for one forum member who had over 2000 post and over 100 trades.

Might be searching "friends" later if I don't find any through this post. They don't have to live US but helping a lot because NGC pandas are there.
    And last thing this time. Might not be proper place to put this in panda forum but I would like to have also
    1990 and 1992 proof kookaburras with leather pouch thing/box and COA.

2. Anthony

Anthony New Member

Bullion which has a connection to spot price is actually GST exempt :)

Regarding those who will not ship outside of the USA, try contacting them anyway. I have successfully purchased from people who listed that they did not ship to Australia. I think a lot of it is to weed out purchases from countries with bad Internet reputations.

Imagine if you were a legit panda collector in Nigeria who only had a Western Union account :p

3. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Yes we only pay GST if import > $1000 (including shipping), I hear VAT however has a much lower threshold than $1000 or 1000 Euros.

Of course it's not fair, it's complete bullshit. I ask sellers to put a low value on the parcel and some sellers I have saved and bought from multiple times because they do that.

They buy insurance externally through auctiva and declare $20 on the package, that way they are protected and I don't get shafted by the guy at customs.

Customs have to abide by the rules, they might know what it's worth but unless your declaration value falls short they won't do anything.

It is stupid to have to pay a tax for shipping and tax on an item that does not exist in your country.

Yep, I pay tax on my income, tax on the food I eat, tax on the day to day crap I have to do.

I hardly feel bad if I am not paying 'tax' on my PF69 super rare chinese coin set.

Yeh that would be awesome, something like shipito forwarding.

4. mfm

mfm New Member

The rules include (at least in most EU countries) that customs can claim your declaration is crap and that you have the following choices:

1) Have the package sent back,
    2) Have the package destroyed,
    3) Provide a new more believable customs declaration,
    4) They will charge taxes and fees based upon what they "know" your package is worth.

I don't know if they allow all choices all the time...