Opinion on ASE dates, what would you do?

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Mr. K, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Mr. K

Mr. K New Member

Please forgive me if this has been asked, a quick search did not help.

But a question to you all is, if given the choice between buying ASE of various years or ASE of the most recent year 2012, which would you buy and what is your reasoning.

This does not include 1996 coins or more rare dates.

The reason I ask is I'm starting to sell off some watches and such to buy silver eagle coins. My local coin shop gives me the option of random dates or fresh coins. I kind of think random dates are cool, but wanted to see what you all think. Is it just preference? Now new 2012 are "new" the older dates are all pretty new to great condition. He lets me pick out the ones I want and put back the ones I don't.

So my question again is, what would you do, buy all most recent or random dates and why.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Mark

2. anonmiss

anonmiss Active Member Silver Stacker

I'd go the random date selection if they are all in similar condition. It gives you more options down the track to trade them if someones looking for a certain date to compleate a set. I say diversify. (again condition is important and this is only MHO.)

3. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

If you buy the ASE's get the random date selection as some people will pay premiums, 2012 is common as dirt.

As a general rule these trade as the lowest form of bullion coin (like the maple) so id advise diversifying from ASE's as USA is doomed and youll be selling your Silver OS to eat so youll need something people from other countries rate and that MAY NOT be (as Americans like these more than people from other countries (& Noobs).. try PM stuff or taku turtles, elephants, armenia noahs ark, britannia etc..

good luck and remember not to go all in as your knowledge will increase and better oppertunities may present themselves later so it pays to keep some powder dry and dollar cost average.

1for1

4. Mr. K

Mr. K New Member

Thanks, kinda what I though as well.

Condition is 95%-98% for older ones. Brand new ones I'd put at 99-100%. Will not take ones with scratches or dings. Some dates randon date ones have slight toning, but I'm ok with that.

I feel like I got the silver fever.... not a good sign.

Mark

5. Mr. K

Mr. K New Member

Thanks, that makes sense too. My plan it to get at least 100 ASE tucked away pretty quickly, then after that slow down a bit and dollar cost average, maybe pick up some junk. Will consider others as you have said as well.

I will keep the phrase in mind "keep some powder dry" I like the way that sounds and feels.

6. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

The years that are lowest over spot.

7. reggie

reggie New Member

What he said.

Bullion is bullion. Don't expect ASE's to attract any numismatic value in your lifetime.

You might want to consider Koalas or Kookaburras as they come in rolls of 20 and each coin is individually encapsulated. Right now I'm buying only Kookaburras in lots of 100.

8. gcsun

gcsun New Member Silver Stacker

You would be surprised, going for 50+ each inc postage on eBay ATM. Crazy I know!

9. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

Not sure what ebay you are looking at, but there are mostly $30-38 sales on US ebay.

10. gcsun

gcsun New Member Silver Stacker

The Australian market mate.