[Opinion] January Pricepedia & Panda Tourism & 25Grizzlies!

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by yennus, Jan 8, 2012.

1. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Well done to Peter Anthony, for another well written commentary!

I think he's absolutely right that China has become a fantastic place for the numismatist:

"While most tourists go to China to bring home memories of the Forbidden City and the Great Wall, where does a real numismatist go? That's right, real numistourists search for coin shows, coin markets and coin museums. Happily, China offers some great attractions, particularly in major cities like Beijing and Shanghai. I call it as numistourism, even if a trip's all about business."

Since living in Shanghai for the past few years (and visiting Beijing as a numitourist), I can completely agree that Shanghai and BeiJing are really fantastic places to hunt for Panda coins.

I have different recommendations on whom to buy coins from though. Hopefully 25Grizzlies will elaborate on his experiences with the person on Page3... though Daisy really is a nice person to deal with. Feel free to go ahead with Peter's recommendation, hopefully your experience will be much more positive than mine.

If anyone comes to Shanghai, I would instead look out for this guy (on the right) standing with 25Grizzlies (on the left). He has treated me and my friends with a lot of respect, and hasn't tried to overcharge us because we are foreigners.

[imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/675_25griz.jpeg][​IMG][/imgz]

The guy on the right has also had dealings with Jim Rogers who is my favorite TV financial adviser... him and Marc Faber! What's good enough for Jimmy, will hopefully be good enough for me too! :)

[imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/675_jimrogers.jpg][​IMG][/imgz]

There are also a few other places to get BARGAINS in China... but I think Peter has covered the best places well.

If anyone is coming to Shanghai, and would like some help moving around and discovering the city (in English and broken Mandarin), don't hesitate to drop me a message or email. It would be my pleasure to show you around. PANDA TOURISM!!!

Here's a pic of 25Grizzlies scoring himself some ultra cool and in very fine condition 1993 Copper Pandas, in their original carded sleeves! BARGAIN! He might have himself the only MS70 Copper Panda in there somewhere!

[imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/675_25griz1993.jpeg][​IMG][/imgz]

I learned a lot from the Grizzly man... lots and lots... especially in regards to Chinese numismatics, bi-metallic Pandas, and bronze coins.

It sure was fun having 25Grizzlies around for three consecutive days of Panda Hunting! I hope you come back! Thanks mate!

See you later in the year hopefully! Thanks again!

... time for me to head back to the Panda Hunt to pickup the BARGAINS that you left behind :)

2. wilkes

wilkes Member

Where has Peter Anthony mentioned all these great locations to buy?

3. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

The January Pricepedia has some mentions.

4. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

Sounds like a business venture to be had I reckon ?

5. yennus

Everyone is invited to Shanghai! :)

6. Anthony

Anthony New Member

I rate this month's Pricepedia articles as the best ever.

It is amazing to see that Xu Hong has just a humble store. I guess I was expecting a big dealership :p

7. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

I had a look through the pricing and some have had nice gains, one in particular stands out and I am not sure if it is an error or not. If it is not an error then I am not complaining one bit :)

8. Pandacollector

Pandacollector Active Member

Hey, the guy on the right looks like Kung Fu Panda! Seriously, that is what everyone calls him, and he uses it on his business card. Great guy who has my complete respect. He helped out a friend of mine in a BIG way when my friend needed it. His website is at: http://www.11coins.com/

Best wishes,
    Peter Anthony
    http://www.pandacollector.com

9. yennus

Haha... yep, that's Kung Fu Panda! :)

A really decent person to deal with.

10. mfm

mfm New Member

What does the security and customs staff at Shanghai Pudong Airport say about bringing out a backpack filled with pandas?

11. yennus

I wouldn't recommend carrying a backpack filled with Pandas. But a few 2000 Mirrors, 1999 Serifs and 1995MDST should be fine.