[OPINION] 1984 Brass Panda

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by yennus, Feb 19, 2012.

1. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

There is an ancient proverb that says "It is the glory of God to conceal a thing, but the glory of kings is to search out a matter." To many people, paying hundreds of dollars for a brass coin seems absurd - but to a few, this may be the BARGAIN of the week (and hopefully maybe a lifetime)! (or at worst, a really poor investment)

It's not every day that one has an opportunity to bid and win on what could potentially be China's version of the 1930 Australian Penny. But today/yesterday was such a day.

[​IMG]
    Source: http://www.australianstamp.com/coin-web/aust/penny/1930penn.htm

Back in 1983 China minted a 1Yuan coin (worth less than 20 Australian cents ... yep <$0.20AUD), and then did it again in 1984. Up to 30,000 of these brass, 12.7gram, Pandas were authorized to be minted. But nobody really knows if the full authorized mintage was actualized. I personally think that the full mintage fell short by a lot.

What can be shown/proven is the relative rarity of these bears reaching grading centres like NGC. Up to now, only 91 of these bears have been sent to NGC.

While there are many 1984 Brass Pandas floating around in China, many of these bears have fallen into hands of people that didn't appreciate their potential worth - after all, who takes care of something that is initially only valued at $0.20? Kinda like a penny made in 1930 :)

[​IMG]

So what are they currently worth?

The Panda in the above picture, has been handled, and is currently going for over $400AUD in a moderately wealthy province of China (JiangSu).

This Panda, PF68, featured in the recent Champion Auction in Hong Kong last month, and went for $500USD.
    [imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/675_1984pf68.png][​IMG][/imgz]

The Panda in the below picture, is a graded PF69, and is currently going for over $800AUD in Shanghai.
    [imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/675_1984ms68.jpg][​IMG][/imgz]

So considering that I bought an OMP pair for $603 ($301.50each), I'm a happy Panda fan! :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If desired, I could probably flip this now in Shanghai for $400each, or grade them and then flip them ... but something tells me I'll be holding onto at least one of these bears for a long long time. If I got a PF70 at grading that would be totally awesome (permission to print money)! It would be the only one :)

Really really grateful to my Father upstairs for taking good care of this lowly Panda collector. Really thankful to 25Grizzlies for getting me started on these exact bears when he came to Shanghai a couple of months ago. Really happy that Comeaux didn't sink my bid at the start by bidding $1000. Really happy that Aurora Et Luna was the honorable auctioneer! I'm really really happy! :)

Thanks all... Gnite!

2. 25Grizzlies

25Grizzlies Member

Great to read that you're stoked yennus, you deserve to win a few auctions here with all your hard work you do in educating (and standing up to the haters, of which there are many here... Preach it bro!) happy to help you see these Bears in a new light, as you mention they're not cheap, there seems to be no such thing as a cheap Panda anymore (unless it's fishballs auction ;) only run sales here man!)

3. comeaux

comeaux Member Silver Stacker

Very well said man ... I could not have said it better. Yennus has done a tremendous job with this forum and has brought it to another level.

Great to have a forum dedicated to the hobby that we all enjoy so much, without Yennus (and gold pelican, thanks to you as well) this would not be possible.

yennus bro I tell you what ... how bout on my next run the the safety deposit box I'll pull out one of those extremely hard to find (almost impossible) 1995 "small date" half oz panda and send it to you in appreciation for all you have done. (you know I don't sell but have been known to give a few on occasion)

It will be S5Y NGC MS68 but as you know this is a very, very hard to find coin in any grade.

It will be a gift from your Cajun bud over here in Louisiana so hopefully you don't sell it and keep it as a momento ... of cousre it will be yours to do what you want but you should keep it.

Please email me your shipping address (I think I still may have it) and I will try to get it to you by next week.

Take Care & Thanks again for everything brother ! :)

4. 25Grizzlies

25Grizzlies Member

Pandas for world peace!

Thats a fantastic gesture RC, if yennus gets any happier Im pretty sure he'll explode!

The title of this thread is opinion on the '84 brass panda (more common than the 83, officially). My opinion is that it's one if the finest coins ever minted, for a number of reasons. It's an early Chinese Mint release, unusual as it's non-precious metal , great design coupled with mintage numbers in my opinion that are perfect... not too high nor low, thus has gained popularity... coupled with that mystique of inaccurate record keeping and who knows?

Maybe yennus is right and this will be China's Aussie penny.

5. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

1985 brass panda is worth over 5 figures :p

Maybe your 1984 will one day be that expensive too.

6. 25Grizzlies

25Grizzlies Member

Yeah the '85 is a very, very special coin

7. comeaux

Forgot to give my opinion on the coin :) ... it's totally an awesome panda for sure !!!

I agree although mintage is "supposed" to be 30,000 ... who REALLY knows ???

I have NOT seen alot of these around at all and was definitely prepared to go a little higher if I would have kept up with the bidding but as you said 25grizzlies, yennus deserved to get his hands on this coin. Good on him for sure !

now I can buy it from him ehehe ! :D j/k

8. comeaux

Yep ... $36,000 USD in auction last May !!! :D

9. yennus

Thanks heaps 25Grizzlies! :)

Your kind words are truly much appreciated!

10. yennus

Oh wow! Thanks Comeaux! That is incredibly generous of you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Let me know what you would consider a fair price, and I'll PayPal that across to you. I don't want to abuse your generosity. You have been very good to the Panda Forum already!

I'll be holding onto that bear for a long long time... hopefully passing it down from generation to generation :)

You definitely gotta get in touch with me when you come to Shanghai.

Thanks!

11. yennus

Hhahah... indeed! Pandas helping to unite the world! :)

EHehhe... yep, I'm still really really happy from yesterday... yep, almost exploded with happiness! :)

12. yennus

Hhahaha... yeah, I'm incredibly grateful to you both (Comeaux and 25Grizzlies)... I know you two could have really taken the price up to a 1985 sort of bid ($36,000). Thank you, thank you, thank you! :)

Hahaha... almost everything is available at the right price :) ehehehe...

Thanks again! :)

13. yennus

Maybe Aurora Et Luna's contact made another trip to China in 1985 and bought another set of these! :)

(We can hope :))

14. comeaux

Nah yennus you'll owe me nothing for the coin except a cold beer in Shanghai !!! :)

Funny thing is I had a predetermined price of about $800 that I was willing to bid up to (I honestly think they are and will be worth much more) but I fell asleep on the couch waiting for the end of the auction so I could snipe if I had to. I think the auction ended sometime around 3 in the morning where I am.

So the next thing I hear is my wife waking me up to come to bed at about 2 am. but the first thing I did was look at the clock, jump to my computer and said "oh wait I have to bid on a panda first !!!" One look at her eyes and face told me that there would be no further bidding on any pandas so I got up and stumbled across the room to bed just hoping my last bid would hold up.

Anyway I'm glad you won them and I really think it was a very wise investment you will make some money with these without doubt. Hold on to them for a few years bro you will be glad you did.

Planned mintage of 30,000 but realistically probably only 10,000 to 15,000 minted (or less) and I would believe only a few hundred have survived in the condition as what you have. :)

15. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Finally, a benefit to being single!

No wife to prevent you from bidding on pandas!!!!!!!

:D

I agree with the population assessment, probably < 3000 left in MS condition.

I'm also glad someone like yennus won the coin as he will treasure it and not melt it down :lol:

16. yennus

HAhaha... you got a deal! Thanks Comeaux! When you come to Shanghai, I'll show you and your family a good time! Thanks!

Yep, hoping to hold onto these bears for a while :) Thanks again!

17. yennus

Hahah... yeah, enjoy your single-ness while you have it :) Once you're married many things change - including your ability to spend on Pandas :)

I'll certainly be treasuring these bears :)

18. серебро

серебро New Member

Well done definitely a very wise investment. Seeing this is a thread about brass coins, does anyone know about the the 2001 20y Silver-plated Copper 120mm Panda medal coin? there also is a gold plated one. Apparently made by the China Gold Coin Incorp. They look great.

19. comeaux

Not bad eh yennus ? from this post to your hands in three days ? Tell me how you like it ! :)

Hey are you going to grade these brass pandas or leave in OMP ? either way they are "off the chain" !!!

You made me go out and have to buy the brass 1983 in PF69 UC !

20. 25Grizzlies

25Grizzlies Member

$?

:)