Older South African coins

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by pushingtin, Nov 10, 2014.

1. pushingtin

pushingtin Member Silver Stacker

I have always been into modern silver but recently started enjoying the older South African coins too.

Here are two older South African proof coins from 1952. A 5 shillings and 2.5 shillings.

If anyone else has some older South African coins, please share them on this thread.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (The PF67 seems to be the highest grade available for this coin).

2. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

You would like the 5 Shillings as well then. It has the antelope similar to the krugerrand.
    I have one somewhere.
    If you are into gold then don't forget the 1 Rand and the pond.

3. pushingtin

pushingtin Member Silver Stacker

Thanks, yeah I have two circulated 5 shillings with the antelope. The 1952 5 shillings was the only year they had the old sailing vessel instead of the antelope. Other years have had a shield, buildings or the antelope.

The gold pond is also an interesting one, as in 1892 they produced a double shaft on the wagon in error as well as another error:

"The initials of the engraver 'OS' appear on the truncation of the President's bust. About to face another election, the President found the initials 'OS', meaning 'OX' in Afrikaans, in bad taste and every effort was made to recover the coins already in circulation. All coins not yet issued were melted down. All subsequent mintages were without the engravers initials."

"This variety was minted at the Royal Prussian Mint in Berlin and depicts the oxwagon with 2 drawbars or 'Disselbooms'. This is a mistake since South African oxwagons only had one drawbar. It is known as the double shaft pond."