Old gold pocketwatch (WWII) - any idea of value?

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by wrcmad, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Rad Dood

Rad Dood Member

I know this is completely out of context but any idea of the details/identity of the original owner? Looks like a very loving gift from some one.Personally it's got way too much intrinsic value to break down and melt. Why destroy such a beautiful handmade piece for a few bucks.
    Only my humble opinion...

2. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

No details other than that stated in OP.

3. Auspm

Auspm New Member

Absolutely beautiful and a stark reminder how far we've fallen on our standards with quality as a society.

Gerald Celente talks about this regularly where he says the way out of this garbage driven society is to going back to demanding quality over cheapness.

I'm totally with him there.

Less stuff, but give me the best quality my money will buy and I'm a much happier person.

That pocket watch is absolutely beautiful...

4. SilverSurfer77

SilverSurfer77 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

5. projack

projack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Few basic things to know about old pocket watches:
    Do not wind it up for regular use unless cleaned and serviced, only do it for demonstration. It is like using a very old car without oil change after decades.
    Cleaning and servicing is expensive because they have to take the watch into single pieces and few people still doing the trade. You need a proper watchmaker not a jeweller from a shopping centre.
    Only still working expensive well known brands or really special watches are worth to buy as investment if the price is right because selling is not easy. (Nice gold watch around spot is always a winner regardless.)
    Working repeaters are usually the good buys if the price is acceptable.
    If you have a question about a specific item the place to go to ask is http://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/ The knowledge on the site is mind-blowing.

6. Byron

Byron Guest

Not quite true, there is still quality and tradition out there eg Blancpain and Patek, even Ball when it comes to watches. Unfortunately due to pricing out of reach of the common man.

Same with Rolex, although it is on the second tier of watch making. Back in the 50s and 60s they were more affordable. even GIs in Korea and Vietnam could afford them and did buy them and kept them for life, passed them on to children.

Unfortunately the rise of made in Asia mass produced goods as well as the "disposible, rapidly changing fashion" society you refer to has made quality a niche market.

7. RhythmDoctor

RhythmDoctor Active Member

I'd be very careful how you store a gold watch...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFtHjV4c4uw[/youtube]

Couldn't resist after Auspm put it up the other week.

I was just saying earlier how I'm keen to acquire a nice watch - pocket or wrist watch. Only trouble is for me, I'd only really be interested in a 9/14k practical/dress watch - I'm far too clumsy to have an 18k...

There's some good places for them here in Brisbane - I've found some bargains only to have been told they were sold 20 mins ago... :(

There's nothing more rage-inducing than being told you've missed out on a surefire bargain!

8. Dabloodymess

Dabloodymess Active Member

Someone can sniff out a bargain quicker than the Pikey? I wouldnt have believed it if someone else had told me!

This a great looking watch. I agree with those saying it would be a shame to see it dumped in the melting pot. But I do have a soft spot for anything with a bit of history behind it.

Just dont let your friend sell it off for scrap to buy a new TV or something. That would be enough to make me cry.

9. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

Damn RD - you beat me to it... :lol:
    There were a couple of posts in this thread that were just begging for this response..

10. RhythmDoctor

RhythmDoctor Active Member

Hey, it happens...I've lost quite a few in the past. Nothing worse than this though...

About 6 years ago I was offered a gorgeous jazz bass once by an old fella in my home town for 200 quid, which is damn cheap for a 60's issue Fender, I went with my first instinct and turned it down as I thought it was stolen.

For around 6 months he kept calling me up and offering it to me, getting it out whenever I went round for a lesson/cuppa, he even dropped the price to 100 quid. I thought there was definitely something queer so told him straight 'No, and stop trying to sell it to me, I know its hot'.

About 2 years ago, when back home, I found out the old boy was dying, and went to see him. He was a lovely man, and a great musician to boot.

When I got there, his eyes lit up. He handed me a picture of John Lennon playing the bass and him on guitar, and said 'thats why I wanted you to buy it'.

Not going to lie, I went home and cried that night. Not for the bargain, but not seeing an old mans dying wishes.