old banknotes

Discussion in 'Banknotes' started by renovator, Feb 1, 2011.

1. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

i have an old collection of banknotes that i aquired over 20 years ago any 1 tell me what they are worth ? ..some of these are very old notes im thinking because of the patina & the fact that theres a few different types of the same notes but different eras & the aus notes have kings on them well their not queens so im guessing they r kings 2 x aus $2...aus 5 pound .. aus 1 pound x 1.. aus 1 pound x 2 different types.. aus 10 shillings.. singapore $5 & 2 different types of $1 .. scotland 1 pound.. isle of man 1 pound... bank of england 1 pound ... chilean 50 escudos ... french 20 francs ... fiji $1 ... phillipine piso 5 & 50 ... 5 x 10 rupees & 1 x 100 rupees..bank of indonesia 10 rupiah &100 rupiah ... numea bank of indo china 20 ... numea 100 cent francs... thai baht ? 3x 10 ... yugoslavian 20 ... japanese yen 3 types & japanese shilling ... tonga 1/2 dollar ... india 1 rupee ... greek 1000 x 2 . I dont know how to post pics maybe i can email the pics then some 1 else can post them 4 me ? any help greatly appreciated am willing to swap for silver when i know what they r worth i finally worked out how to post the pics they are further down the page

2. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Bit like asking "I've got a penny, what's it worth". Banknotes are just like coins - the issue and the condition will determine the value. You would need to provide photos to determine what issue the notes are (including clear images of the signatures which are commonly used to identify issues) and to help with determining the condition.

Feel free to post this in the numismatic section.

3. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

Hello renovator,

I have also been collecting banknotes in my younger days, but have stopped.

If you want to have the banknotes valued you will need to take photos and post them here so that
    parties that might be interested can see the *signatures on the aussie banknotes and the condition that they are in.

if you dont upload fotos the best offer you can get will be half of what they could be sold on eBay.

regards posting pics ( assuming you already have the pics on your comp) than go and click on upload image and click on choose file , once the foto has been chosen and uploaded than copy the url of the photo ( 2 choices url or thumbnail and paste in this thread.

as a rought guesstimate all the notes excluding british monarchy on them wont cost more than $30.
    and the other ones depending on their condition from $50 to $125.

have a look at eBay completed listings for 10 shillings

http://completed.shop.ebay.com.au/i...SALE_CURRENCY=0&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_rdc=1

you can perform identical searches for all of the other notes that you have so you can also value the notes yourself.

4. renovator

ok thanks guys didnt put it in the numismatics because i thought it was for coins the condition of the notes are all used some very used !!!

5. THUCYDIDES79

Irrespective of the condition that they are in, you will get better offers if people can see the notes.

6. renovator

if anybody is interested please send a pm & il email u some pics cant work out how to upload pics

7. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

The one I would be interested initially in seeing is the 5 Pound, then depending on condition and serial the Shillings, and then Decimal.

Photos will answer just about all, if you can't take a photo, then a scan with a scanner will also assist.

8. renovator

9. renovator

10. renovator

11. renovator

12. renovator

13. renovator

14. renovator

15. renovator

16. renovator

17. renovator

18. THUCYDIDES79

Completed listings on eBay

$2 - just match the signatures on the ones that you have and the ones that have been sold
    http://completed.shop.ebay.com.au/i...2&_ssov=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282&_udhi=&_udlo=

1 & 5 pounds

http://completed.shop.ebay.com.au/N...1&_dmd=1&_fln=1&_sop=12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282

shilling

http://completed.shop.ebay.com.au/N...1&_dmd=1&_fln=1&_sop=12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282

You can try to do your own searches for the other notes that you have.
    You can go to ebay.com instead of the aussie one for the other notes.

on the home page, click advanced search ( on the right side of search field )
    when you are in the new window for advanced search, type what you are looking for and what you would like excluded ( ie may want to exclude Endgland & Lebanon when you search for pounds) and
    click on COMPLETED LISTINGS.

19. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

Thanks for the shots, always good to just check out things. I can only comment on the Aus notes. From what I can see and the condition as presented all of these are known as "General Prefix" Notes. As such they are what you would say are the common notes. While you have a good mix their actual value is not that great from a numismatic view.

The Shillings and Pounds are worth a little more perhaps from $20 - $50 This all depends on who wants to bid and if there is demand, being common I would lead more to the $20 range than the $50 range it would need to be in better condition to increase the value more than this. Though some could be suitable for gaps in collections.

The $2 are really only worth a couple of dollars each themselves. No rare numbers and low grade they are good to show friends and family, they tell a great story, but value is limited in these notes.

I hope someone can assist with your world notes they look very intriguing. Thanks for sharing.

If anyone wants to put somethings away always go for quality unless it is a Rare note. So if you get a nice crisp $5 note and it is spare, its these type that will hold some extra value when the current notes all go.

20. renovator

thanks austacker i didnt think they be worth a lot just thought some 1 on here might want them more than me i forgot i even had them i came across them the other day when i was sorting out some stuff i hadnt unpacked for years since i been moving around a bit lately also thanks to thucydides for his help id prefer to sell the lot together or swap for some silver any offers welcome ps u wont offend me .