Observations - are numismatics holding value better than bullion?

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by MetalMajix, Sep 24, 2011.

1. MetalMajix

MetalMajix Member

Any comments on current observations?

Cheers,

2. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

3. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Prices on 2010 and older Pandas in the USA haven't shifted downwards yet (using APMEX pricelist).

I'm in Sydney at the moment, so I don't have live pricing on current prices in Shanghai, but so far I haven't received any notices on price drops for Pandas older than 2010.

But 2011 siilver Pandas have dropped significantly though (which is good for buying)... unfortunately the AUD has dropped 10% against the RMB (Chinese 'dollar'), which has offset a lot of the benefits we would have otherwise made.

4. Philski

Philski Member

collectable coins are the same for me, silver content junk coins have dropped

5. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

Yes, very few collector coins have any correlation with their metal value. I could see larger gold coins maybe, but not even sure about them. now obviously if gold dropped to 500 per oz, you'd see prices drop. But as a general rule my first sentence applies.

6. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

My theory is that older sovereigns and half sovereigns ( Victoria Young Head ) should increase in value separately to gold spot.
    Due to the higher prices of gold, many drawers and jewellry boxes are getting emptied as people sell their gold for cash.
    Many dealers sell their accumulated cache to smelters and the coin is lost forever.
    Decent looking 100+ year old 22ct gold coins should therefore become scarcer on the market and attract higher premiums over time.
    Here endeth the lesson.

7. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

I have posted my theories on this before, so skip if not interested. My decision to buy coins vs. bars/rounds was based upon the theory that the bullion coins had more numismatic potential for premium increase than the bars/rounds. For the limited mintage coins (lunars, canadian wildlife, kooks) my theory is working. My hope was that the premiums would hold up relatively well during silver price drops. Current bidding on ebay seems to indicate that my hope is also accurate. See my post on the WTB lunar tiger thread. I am seeing some premium decrease on the lower premium coins (2010 Pandas and 2011 kooks), but the higher premium coins seem to be holding up very well (canadian wildlife and lunars).

I don't track the normal numismatic market, but a recent sale of a silver dollar on this site also seemed to indicate that numismatics are holding up well. I would suggest looking at the new sales on ebay to get a feeling for the numismatic market. And if dealers like AEL Steve provide some imput, all the better.

8. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

+1

9. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

I think the same. I prefer the 2010 or less pandas
    If i dont think it. I will buy slv or pslv because is more liquid and have less spread to sell.

10. Aurora et luna

Aurora et luna Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

1oz Tigers are holding up even with this recent dip. I needed two rolls for a dragon trade and the best deal I could get was $1200 a roll wholesale.
    No doubt stackers can pick up smaller quantities at a lower price if they pick and choose from distressed sellers but $60 seems to be the going rate for a tiger.
    My supplier didn't have any Rabbits for sale but a week ago he was asking $55 each; thought that was a bit expensive. Might be a good time to buy if anyone can pick a roll up for less than a $1000
    I have a reasonable quantity of mice in stock, I have dropped the price by a couple of dollars but I am not chasing spot. If it doesn't sell, I will just hold it until spot recovers.
    My retail prices on the mice is similar to what my wholesale supplier is asking, so it makes no sense to sell it below replacement cost.

11. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

A friend and I are each swapping mint a box of ASEs plus $4.49/coin for 500 S2 lunar mice. Effectively the premium was about $6/coin. Shipping and insurance is adding another .14/coin. I believe that within a year, the premiums on the mice will be back up to where they were before the PM finished minting the remaining mice this summer. I would have traded two boxes myself, but I am holding them for future swaps of 2014 lunar horses and one of the last 3 Canadian Wildlife coins.

12. Aurora et luna

I am a flipper so I would swap a Mouse for an ASE + $4 today but if you are holding it long-term I think you will be glad you made that deal in a couple of years time.
    In my opinion the most underpriced Lunar series 2 coin at the moment.
    A year ago it was the most prized coin in the series until the PM went back and minted more but once this present batch is digested, prices will begin to creep up again.

13. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

Steve, I would have been happy to swap with you, but I think the postage would have killed us both. Btw, I looked at your store today and saw that someone bought those beautiful 2010 gold kangaroo coins you had for sale. My time frame for selling the Mice is the same 2015 date that I have for most of my pms. 2015 is when I expect the Dow Jones Industrial to equal less than 1oz of gold. At that point it will be time to switch most of my pms into dividend paying energy stocks.

Here in the US, I think most of the supply of S2 Mice is about gone. Gainesville is out and Apmex is down to about 1100. After I ordered the 1000 mice today, they raised the premiums on the remaining coins from $6 to $11.

I am not aware of any other site in the US that carries them. But if someone knows of another site, please post the information.

14. Aurora et luna

Totally agree that international shipping would kill the deal. I wouldn't even trade it interstate within Australia; got slugged over $50 to ship a 100oz box the other day.
    I think it is only a matter of weeks before dealer's stock of the mice is decimated. Am expecting resale market prices similar to the Rabbit within a month or two.
    I did sell one of the gold 2010 Kangaroos recently for my asking price but pulled the rest off my shelves after spot plunged.
    Not going to sell a coin below cost if I can't replace it. :(

15. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hey Aurora Et Luna, those Perth Mint shekels are undervalued :)

I'll swap the Pandas for as many of those as you have.