NZ Penny 1940

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by LTEK4NZ, Aug 17, 2012.

1. LTEK4NZ

LTEK4NZ Member Silver Stacker

my grandfather has a EF 1940 NZ Penny
    he was wondering how much it would be worth.

on the same note he has a 1953 10 shilling note in circulated condition. and he has the same question. how much?

im curious about it too.

2. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

The 1940 Penny was the first release of the Penny in NZ as such huge volumes were made, a bit like the 1984 $1 in Australia. For a first release there was over 5.4M made compared to following years where only 1M or so were made. EF - aUNC price range $35 - $65

The 1953 10 Shilling note is certainly a bit rarer, we would need a good look at the condition and also the numbers and signature combination. Depending on condition, signature and number combinations it could be anywhere from about $30 - $300 ? If you get some further details I will see what else I can find.

3. LTEK4NZ

LTEK4NZ Member Silver Stacker

best photos i can get with equipment i got.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

Thanks for the photos that is enough detail initially. Notes are not my strong area but I would say the note would grade aVF to VF in the books it says -

VF - A note showing distinct signs of wear although the paper will still be reasonably crisp and not limp. Numerous light folds or even one and two heavy folds will be noticed although the note will be free of heavy soiling or folding.

That sums up that note well I believe. Based on my latest price list (2011)

P158a T.P Hanna (1940-1955) Ten Shillings
    Number over Date 0/47 - 5/54 VF = $160

I would think it is a solid $100 + for the right buyer. Hope that helps.

Edit - Go and get a card slip to put it in. Stop it getting any worse.

5. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

RE: 10 shilings - not VF imo - id say youd get $50 if you are very lucky.. it may be fine.

I think my last one on ebay sold for $14 aus but was maybe a grade lower.. BV is not relevant for lower grades from what ive seen.

The prices i got for my nz pre dec bank notes on ebay were so low i decided not to sell any more old notes.. ironically my 2009 $20 AA prefix conseq run of 3 got over $100 and pulled them out of an ATm last year.

1940 penny.. i have purchased many at 20c.. i have sold one at $40

NZ numis are my thing .. best oppertunity is looking for the 1945 burnished birmingham heaton mint variety.. gets $10 + easy and can be found in bins in oz at 20c

1for1

6. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

Thanks 1 for 1 I was dubious on the note grade as mentioned. The whole markets for lower quality general issue is weak. I didn't do any ebay checks so that is always a good gauge for the market. It really highlights if you are a collector or investor.

I have changed to look for key dates(rarity) in high quality in anything I look for. I used to get everything. In saying that it is nice to build a collection and the grade up as the opportunity arises.

Still finding something old and in fair quality is always good :)

1for1 I think I have a few of the 1945 burnished coins, I believe I have been able to identify the differences ? I scored a very good set not UNC but very nice, not full dates but a nice one. I also collect a few of the rarer coins in the Florins, Shillings etc... and a few Crowns. Selective now though. Thanks for your help.

7. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Hi mate, yeah i am massively into NZ numismatics...

I have all the coins excepting the 1935 Waitangi Crown.. i have decent specimens of 1935 3D and the 1936 Florin... i like all the designs but stopped collecting the cu-ni post 46 coins, still chasing higher grade silver esp George V stuff..

Notes.. i have one of each type but notes arent really my bag.. trying to get out of fiat (LOL)..

I like to keep one of each just cos its the history! Low grade is good cos you arent sacrificing much keeping them..

cheers guys.

1for1