NZ Mint Disney Coin - New Release - What is it?

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by excalibur, Aug 19, 2014.

1. excalibur

excalibur Member Silver Stacker

Hey Stackers, I know many will say "Who Cares",
    but does anyone know, or like to take a guess at the new coin due for release tomorrow?
    I know it's only one more sleep, but I can't wait....

2. AgAuNEWS

AgAuNEWS Member

More than one coin.

3. excalibur

excalibur Member Silver Stacker

???'more than 1 coin ???

4. Justfishin

Justfishin New Member

All the disney coins are being released tomorrow---dumb move on their part not to stagger it

5. AgAuNEWS

AgAuNEWS Member

They never learn...

6. db23

db23 Member

Actually I can think of a way that this would make really good business sense for them.

I don't think it's any secret that a large number of New Zealand Mints "dealers" are nothing more than ebay sellers. What if some of the larger dealers worked out a deal where they are all released at once, thus requiring much more capital and thus eliminating a lot of the ebay seller competition. I think if NZM just started to cut back on the ebay seller dealers it would probably help their overall image. Instead they have weak handed "dealers" that need to get in and out of coins quickly and the race to the bottom begins, this is why almost none of their coins retain any value on the aftermarket.

7. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Doesn't the NZ mint sell the coin with 'Certificate of Authenticity No.1' on eBay and give the money to Charity?

I thought that was a nice way of doing it.

I think there are a lot of coins which don't retain any value on the aftermarket and the reason usually seems to be that they were too expensive on to begin with.

8. gwako

gwako New Member

The embargo date for Mickey and Friends Silver Collectible coins is August 21st, 12:01 AM NZST, with a shipment date of September 14, 2014.

I am an authorized distributor for the NZ Mint in Canada, and one of the cool features of releasing all 6 coins at the same time is that if your interested in purchasing all 6 characters (coins) you will get 6 matching serial numbers on the COA, at least that's what we will be doing, but at the same time you have the option of picking up only some of the characters.

We are going live with it August 20th @ 8AM EST - and all images/prices/descriptions will be revealed at that time.

9. jchrisrobledo

jchrisrobledo Member

Man, I do wish they would have waited and released them one by one! For me it's easier to pay haha.

We all know they have a good premium for being numismatic. Here in the US it's about $100, depending where you get them. Purchasing all 6 would mean about $600 dollars all at once. YES, I know you don't have to purchase them all at once but, they are all gonna be available at the same time, so why not try to get them all?

Plus, I really enjoy having the anticipation of 'waiting' for the next coin, trying to guess what's next, and getting the big reveal! Isn't that the whole point of a 'series' program?

10. wsd_collector

wsd_collector New Member

Will be doing the same thing.

As a little bit of a teaser, enjoy the pic below :) (not an official pic, just something from google images!)
    [​IMG]

11. wsd_collector

wsd_collector New Member

The "Disney" series program will continue past this coming release. I'm sure you'll see why they're releasing everything in the morning.

It is kind of like the Dr. Who Set of 12 coins that was released, or the 7 superman coins released by the Royal Canadian Mint in 2013.

12. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If you search thru my old post, you can have a sneak preview of the coin packaging as seen from the coin expo in Singapore :)

13. wsd_collector

wsd_collector New Member

Coins are now up!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. gwako

gwako New Member

Coins are up for sale with shipment date of approximately September 15 - Free shipping over $200 for Canada and free shipping over $300 for USA - Like our Facebook page and get an additional 3% off:

[​IMG]

15. ego2spare

ego2spare Well-Known Member

I was going to buy every coin in the series.. But i really dont like how they released all of them like this. Makes each coin feel less important. And not alot of design went into each coin. Like a cheap set. Really put me off them :( . this is the first series i wanted to complete just for a collection not profit taking.

16. wsd_collector

wsd_collector New Member

Although I agree that the coins should have been released one at a time, I do have to say that the matching COA's that limited dealers including myself are offering will demand a premium :)

17. SolidFOOSER

SolidFOOSER Member

Im not a fan of them. I really like the classic Mickey and Donald. Glad I got those. but I wont be buy these ones. They do look kinda cheap and $600 at once is a bit much. I agree that the matching COA's are cool but not really that important to me.

18. AgAuNEWS

AgAuNEWS Member

I hate Disney but I think these are spot on. Iconic images, well presented. Remember these are aimed more at the Disney memorabilia market than the coin collector. The gold should appeal more as a purely numismatic item.

If anybody wants big clean images and info, it's all up on site now. http://agaunews.com/?p=13312

19. syracuse

syracuse New Member

I could not resist the temptation. Ordered my first NZ mint product. :)

20. Cornishfarmer

Cornishfarmer New Member

I've got to say I'm glad they released together in one hit, I don't like then and won't be buying, why do New Zealand mint think we want to have colour on collect able coins, I would definitely buy if they were just 1oz silver proof