Numismatic portfolio strategies,...

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by THUCYDIDES79, May 19, 2011.

1. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

Welcome,

Numismatic portfolio strategies, what are they ?!

When the word 'numismatic' is invoked one immidately expects a precious metal selling over SPOT.
    Which it is.

Numismatic coins are not only coins with low mintages ( 1938 Crown ), or old coins ( 8 Reales ) , or extremely rare coins ( 1930 Penny )
    there are many more factors which make a particular coin 'worth' more than another coin of the same purity or precious metals content.

In my purchases over the years ( not many years - maybe 2 ) i have tried to have an exposure to any 'numismatic' branch

I have general silver coins florins, 50 Cent pieces, but i also have

* early 20th century silver coins from most countries in Europe ( Austrian Coronas, Russian kopeeks, Swedish Kronas , etc )
    * i also have a 'toner' - a toned 2 Corona coin ( 0.27 oz asw ) but it has naturally toned !
    * Roman silver denarius ( paid $26 for it, when spot silver was around $4 for the coin content ) but in great condition
    * Roman bronze coins
    * I have 2 Piedforts ( highest valued coin type - struck on a double planchet and proof strike - what more could you want ?! :) )
    * Have an old Persian Dirham ( the ruler on it Chosroe II, is reputed in Christian sources to be the Stealer of the Cross -
    ( back aroudn 630 AD when the Persians visited Jerusalem and took the Cross with them, it is also the coin which
    circulated in Mecca & Medina during the time of the Prophet (pbuh), and the ruler also received a letter from the prophet inviting him
    to Islam ) - also in great condition - have seen similar coin priced at aroudn $160 on ebay, albeit with mostly expiring listings but they
    can sell around $70 ! - bought this one for $26 too :)
    * I have the 1 Birr Ethiopian coin with Manelik II it is struck to the same specs as the Maria Theresa Thaler ( 0.75 oz ) but
    trades on eBay for at least 250% of spot ( similar to 1937 & 1938 crowns )

when buying coins and considering their prices and premiums that you should pay for them, think about the following
    roughly in this order too

* Silver content in oz
    * Purity of silver
    * Condition of coin
    * Mintage number
    * other coins in same series or single year issues
    * scarcity of the coin
    * has it toned, has it been cleaned

and others,

anyways have to go now,
    :)

2. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

being a numi noob n all, are all coins with a face value numismatics?

3. THUCYDIDES79

My point, is that any coins that cost over spot have a 'numismatic' premium attached to it.

So even if they arent technically coins, but are rounds ( like the Andean Cat ) and they have something
    distinguishing about them ( in case of the Andean it is the record purity of 99999 ) they will eventually trade
    as PREMIUMS to SPOT.

Even maybe an old silver or gold medal, these also trade at premiums to spot - it is the 'numi' component that
    pushes the price of that medal to much over spot.

Or an interestingly shaped gold nugget, even the nugget could trade at 10% or even more over spot.
    where the rest of the nugget population trades for spot +- 5%

With a 50 Cent piece, you cant 'numismatise' that coin unless its in an UNC grade or an error coin.

You have to have at least 1 numi factor attached to the coin to be able to ASK and RECEIVE a premium over spot.

4. BigBen

BigBen New Member

I have an old jar of all sorts of coins.
    Dont know what almost all of them are, but a few:
    One has churchill written on the edge on front of the coin with churchills actual head there as well, its 1965 and on the reverse it has written around the edge "Elizabeth II Dei Gratia Regina F.D." Large round silver coin, larger than aussie 50 cent piece anyway.
    1948 Australian Penny, bout the size of a current 20c piece and copper color, kangaroo on front, George VI on back.
    1947 Imp two shillings.
    1955 3 pence, looks like a mini 50 cent piece.

Heaps of 70's and 80's Zinbabwe coins, malay, indonesia, aussie 1 and 2's, french coins like 1967 20 centimes and 1+2 francs or watever

5. THUCYDIDES79

The 1965 is a commemorative British crown and its made out of Cupronickel and not worth much - ( because plenty others floating around )

the 1948 Penny has probably a large mintage, ud need to check the Krause catalog and determine if its one of the lower mintage year coins, otherwise that coin costs $0.50

the shilling and the 3pence pretty much cost bullion - unless RARE YEAR ( check Krause for that ) or GREAT CONDITION aUNC & higher.

other coins, Zimbabwe and French and rest, nothing major, they are bought by the pound.

they are neither rare nor precious metal content - thus not worth selling