Number of newbies

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Scorpion75, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Scorpion75

Scorpion75 New Member

Quite the opposite RM.

Scorp

2. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

There are an increasing number of script bots that are posting what are first appears to be a relevant post, but a quick Google search shows being posted on multiple forums. Generally after a week or two of "trickle" activity, they slip a spam link in - killed an account yesterday that had started adding links advertising some Facebook game, after a week of making one paragraph PM related posts.

Meanwhile, they create noise until they show their true colours.

3. RetardedMonkey

RetardedMonkey Active Member Silver Stacker

Sorry, wasn't taking a stab at you directly if that's how it came across. I just notice a general feeling sometimes when reading posts.

4. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

5. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

(Sarcasm noted)

I think the issue is that if Silver Stackers represents the "real" market for bullion, i.e. what the metal trades for "on the street" then it isn't just about a bunch of mates trading coins and bars any more - its what a real, open, free market looks like in all its dirty glory.

We all know that the real market price for something is what a willing buyer and a willing seller agree it is, so real price discovery has to involve some people asking "rip off" prices and other people making "lowball" bids.

Its also a fact of life that n00bs are going to end up buying stuff that, in retrospect, they wouldn't have bought or wouldn't have paid what they did for it. I'm one of the old hands and I still have stuff that I bought back when SS was apparently all about education and helpful advice that I wouldn't have bought if I knew then what I know now. Just the fact that SS doesn't have "100 mills" items trading here makes it a million times better than the other private markets out there.

And there are still loads of useful articles and commentary posted here for whoever is prepared to look for them. Paying "too much" for something is just as valuable a learning experience as reading through dozens of reports on mining capacity and technical analysis.

Personally, I like to think I take personal responsibility for my business and investment decisions and, provided there is no outright criminal activity involved, I'm happy to own my duds as well as my stellar calls. I've made a fair number of each and what I lose in cash, I gain in experience.

6. Scorpion75

Scorpion75 New Member

No need to be sorry mate. Some people most likely do think it is. Without new blood we have know chance of $100+ Silver IMO. I would love nothing more than for every person on earth to have atleast 1oz of Silver. I think some of the posts ive read may of been the ones GP referred to.

I dont know how many newbies signed up around this time last year but it looks like the Silver price could grow some legs and be higher soon similar to last year if the new interest continues. It's not just on here, theres more talk on other forums and in the community and at work. Interest is definately increasing. I think we can put a floor in(support) around $35 this year. $25/$26 just seems way to cheap IMHO.

Scorp

7. DanDee

DanDee Active Member Silver Stacker

Well said!
    I don't know why it shits me so much when individuals decide it's their duty to enlighten the poor unfortunates who are sooo far below their level of enlightenment.
    May be something to do with my christian Bros education, or my deep hatred for religious zealots, or my deep hatred for any other fugstick that thinks they have a "duty" to educate. or even think they know enough to educate others. or maybe it's cause I haven't had a smoke for 8 friggin days
    Whatever.

8. Scorpion75

Scorpion75 New Member

I take my hat off to you for ditching the cigs. Well done. I wish i had your will power to do the same. Hmm, how many 10oz bars could i buy over a year if i gave them up.

Scorp

9. Teh silvers

Teh silvers Member

10. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

As a recently joined member, I'd just like to say...

"I am not a bot!"

11. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yeah, I've been seeing him on some of the real sicko perverted forums I hang out on too Teh Silvers :lol:

12. Teh silvers

Teh silvers Member

Lmafo hahaha

13. DanDee

DanDee Active Member Silver Stacker

Pack of winnie red 20's per day = Eighteen x 10 oz bars per year. EIGHTEEN!!! TEN OUNCE BARS
    sad.

14. Scorpion75

Scorpion75 New Member

Thats a lot of Silver. I'm to scared to add up how many I could of bought up until now if i'd never started 20yrs ago. We wouldnt dream of burning notes but we fork them out to pay for these damn things that do just that. Go figure. I hope you keep the strength to never light up again.

Scorp

15. Guest

Guest Guest

A 'free market' doesn't put a gag on price discussion.

The quickest way for someone to lose their cool around here is for anyone else to pass a comment 'this is priced too high'

The evidence speaks for itself.

True price discovery cannot possibly happen if education and discussion of market prices are a taboo topic

It's called a fixed market.

I think we have our definitions mixed up in all honesty. There's no possible way in hell the SS trade forum represents a 'true' free market in any sense.

Just my view IMHO.

16. Guest

Guest Guest

Hence my view now.

You don't want to be educated.

You don't want open discussion.

You want to be left to your own devices to learn if you're being ripped off or not.

Duly noted.

You and everyone else who walks through that door to ask an honest question are on their own because education is NOT the core focus of SS anymore. Just like i said.

Ask yourself if other predatory markets operate on the same foundation?

Don't worry, I won't lend a helping hand anymore.

Got some awesome german silver to sell you, want to buy it? Maybe not you then, maybe the next eager beaver who walks through the SS door looking for their first buy.

Don't think it'll happen?

You wait and see...

17. Nedsnotdead

Nedsnotdead Active Member Silver Stacker

Thats just stupid. nobody will watch fellow stackers buy german silver or seriously get ripped off on here.
    Some people yes pay absolute premiums on here. Me included from time to time but its all about supply and demand and if its a coin i really want i will pay what i have to to get it.
    Giving the impression that most on here are just here to rip others off is a bit rich i reckon

18. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

I agree with Ned, german silver etc would not be tolerated so talk of such is silly. In the past I have tried to sell items with a high premium (that i paid previously) only to find that they sit with no interest while i look like the greedy fool. The price comes down until the seller decides not to make a loss and sit on the item and learns from the experience of what is acceptable to the mostly knowledgeable members of SS. The numismatic items provide diversity but have the higher premium. This is accepted.
    Re the dragons and such, hopefully most would know that mania phases are where silly decisions are made and resort to buying the lower premium metal and play the internationally accepted spot price instead of the subjective numismatic price.

19. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

The gag only exists on the seller's thread. Feel free to make your own thread and talk about prices, just not in the seller's thread.

Heck you could even start your own valuation thread to educate users and update it constantly with current fair coin prices so newbs can check it before buying.

I agree that some stuff is priced too high but really if you are going to plop down a thousand dollars plus and not do your research beforehand... there's a saying.

It's not hard really, a quick Google search or a search on the forums or eBay or a walk down to your closest Trusted Dealer (TM) will give you an approximation of 'fair prices'.

Coming from a seller's perspective, if you list stuff too high it won't sell and 20 bumps won't change the fact. Eventually Nugget comes in and gives you shit for bumping 20 times :p.

20. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

:lol::lol: