Noticeboard at my supermarket looking to buy 1966 50c coins

Discussion in 'Silver' started by bungo, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Evolution

Evolution Member

I would just like to let everyone here know that if they have a few round 50s lying around that I will buy them for $8 each. Yes that's below spot value but the silver price is volatile so I need to offer a little less than it's worth to make it worth my while. And with the overhead involved in small quantities it's actually a fair price.

You know it's BS. Spin it however you want, you are actively trying to rip people off. And to see so many here supporting it, I've lost a lot of respect for this forum.

2. Lav

Lav New Member

because it is extremely tough to google the price of coins

3. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

Can I just say this right now, 3x$8= $24

If you think Silver will never come close to $24 again then you are one overly optimistic guy. It wouldn't surprise me 1 bit if it gets down there soon, excuse the language but as far as I'm concerned anyone against what I'm doing is a complete idiot or a brainwashed permabull.
    Do not hate an entire forum based on the act of 1 individual, at least agree with me on that. You know, it is really upsetting that some people just refuse to see both sides of the coin (bad pun) prices are not guaranteed to go up, once you realize that it should become apparent that I am not scamming anyone.

I give people only what they want, nothing less and nothing more. After the transaction all the risk is left with me. I either lose money or make money, of course odds are with me for now but just remember what happened in 2008.
    It's like I'm talking to a brick wall sometimes, I'm starting to question why I bother in all honesty.

4. Evolution

Evolution Member

So we trade on what the spot price was at one point and could be again? Well then I'll offer $300 per ounce for gold because it could end up back there again. Give it enough time, you never know.

And I can see this from both sides, you think I don't get the "buy low, sell high" mentality? I do. But I am an ethical person, I cannot in good conscience gain at another's expense. Not like that, not from dishonesty.

I'm not a brick wall, I'm open-minded but skeptical. All I'm hearing are excuses though, not reasons. And that last one is the worst. You're using another persons' money (in this circumstance, the potential value in the silver they're losing by selling to you) to mitigate the risk you are taking in investing.
    I think I'm done here.

5. jnkmbx

jnkmbx Well-Known Member

I know lots of people in their 50s and over that don't know how to do it, let alone launch a web browser. :/

It so happens that the older generation were around when the round 50 cent coins were in circulation, which somewhat coincides with the probable tech savviness of the target audience :p

Not accusing anyone of thinking that far ahead of course. :|

6. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

If you want the best price for anything you have to do your research, take time and be patient in selling.

This applies to round 50c, property, and other assets including your second hand car.

Not anyone's problem if they can't be bothered to research or have patience and take the easy way out.

Obviously there will be a cost of taking the easy way out and that is of course, lower profits.

Some people take the easy way out for many things, such as doing their taxes. Are accountants immoral too because they're charging fees?

You can find more information at the local library, your local coin dealer among other places. The internet is not the sole source of information albeit a convenient one. Your mother might be computer illiterate but I'd wager she'd know how to read a book right? Well pick up some coin guides in the library for coin worth and after that buy the daily paper and find out silver spot price to make a rough estimate of value.

Even if you don't do all that, you can go to your local coin store or whatever and ask, hey how much are you selling round 50c to get a ballpark figure. It'd probably be $15/coin or above but at least you'd know, wow don't sell for $8.

It's not that hard. I'm sure your mother can do that because her generation keeps badgering mines to 'get off the net' and 'do things ye old fashioned way'.

In this case the guy is being a douchebag, however it is nowhere near a scam. A scam would be selling you an iPhone 4GS and mailing you a brick instead, or nothing at all.

Being a douchebag on these forums won't get you very far, your name will be soured fast and reputation plummeting through the floor making future sales difficult.

Maybe while you're at it, you should go tell ANZ that offering way below spot on their FX counter is a scam and see how far that gets you.

Is being a believer in the free market a good enough reason?

Supply and demand are at work naturally, he who wants to sell, sells to he who wants to buy. THAT is fair.

The free market will regulate itself and the TRUE value of 50c will be discovered regardless of spot price. Once all the people have been siphoned out of their cheap 50c, the business will no longer function as there will no longer be a supply.

Also, value is a matter of perspective. I might value a lunar coin at $200, someone else might value it at $350.

It's called being at the right place at the right time and arbitraging market inefficiencies and asymmetric information.

Look it up, it's pretty much the foundations of economics.

7. Ausecon

Ausecon Member

Turn it up.