Noob question/rant/apology...

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by GeoguyBri, Aug 28, 2022.

1. GeoguyBri

GeoguyBri New Member

Hello all! My second post here and still in my first week of finding out about this entire subculture of PMs. So, I apologize if this is in the wrong section of the forum. Anyway, in my hello thread, I mentioned that I had just made my first silver purchase (WOOT! looking forward to checking the mail next week!) Well, I also had recieved a promotional email 1 oz Silver Eagle Coin at Spot Price!. So I got it. Well, the MINIUM shipping this place has is essentially 10.00. Comparing prices around for that coin, I still come out ahead, but geeez that shipping is just a rip off. Do you all not use certain places based on the high price at the back end? I know I could have spent more money to legitimize the cost, but I just tarted, I don't know if I even want anymore.. Anyway, sorry for the rant, just grinded my gears as they say. Hope everyone had a great weekend!
    [​IMG]

Bosse68 likes this.
  2. REDBACK

REDBACK Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Ok firstly slow down there fella with the Rip off statement.
    Secondly as per your location flag if your in the USA silver spot price should approximately $19.29 USD per Troy oz so their charge was in the ball park.
    The postage charge is not that excessive at $9.95 USD
    $31.08 Total works out to approx $45 AUD.
    By Australian standards thats on the high end for an ASE but your in a more expensive market by historical accounts.
    In future try to value add to your postage by increasing your purchase size weight wise so it becomes worthwhile.
    You made a Rookie error, one you will avoid in the future.
    Welcome to SS
    REDBACK

adze67 and GeoguyBri like this.
  3. GeoguyBri

GeoguyBri New Member

I'm sure I have many more rookie mistakes to make. lol. That's why I'm here, reading threads and learning to try and minimize future errors..:) Thanks for the feedback!

mmm....shiney! likes this.
  4. JohnnyBravo300

JohnnyBravo300 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yep shipping is expensive. Spend over $199 and its free.

5. Darwin

Darwin Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

$9.95 shipping (even accounting for the conversion rate) would be pretty nice - we're stuck with up around US$13.30 for any quantity under 10oz, so I wouldn't be worrying too much about the price you paid being a "rip-off"... I mean, you're ultimately getting some physical silver you can handle, so there's always a plus and minus side of everything.

That all being said, welcome to the addiction ;)

6. Ian Gillman

Ian Gillman Active Member

I am in the USA and the $10 shipping is about right. APMEX shipping is $9.99 and JM Bullion is $7.99. I have never used SD Bullion but they are respected in the industry and a good choice to use. Do not get too hung up with the "spot price" offers because you will find that the spot price goes up and down daily and waiting a few days can negate the discount you get anyway. I buy once per month and I buy more than the free shipping threshold of $199 so I do not have to worry about the shipping costs.