Noob got some gold and silver from a garage sale-how did I do?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Cardtheorist, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Cardtheorist

Cardtheorist New Member

https://imgur.com/a/9nGq2

My first gold and silver deal at a local sale. Paid 180usd total. I only posted the stuff I was iffy about. I don't think the gold coin can be real, as I got it and the silver coin for 20. I did score 3 1/30oz kennedys for just $5 each though, which did make me wonder. And the gold foil in lightbulbs for $5 each as well. Are the coins legit?

2. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Welcome to the forum Cardtheorist!

I can't usually tell just from pics whether a coin is real or not. If those are, and the flakes are genuine, looks like you got a good deal.

3. Cardtheorist

Cardtheorist New Member

Ty. I do plan on getting a magnet and such to help verify. I'm almost certain the Kennedys are real. The main concern is about the Elizabeth gold coin. The guy had some other random coins, but most not worth it, and some old foreign stuff, mainly Russian. I should have took pics, the sale is for 2 days.

4. millededge

millededge Active Member

I think the 1oz gold has the wrong tone - rim is not at all yellow. Best guess is it is a nonprecious metal electroplated. The expression on the monarch's face on the obverse is set incorrectly - it is unsmiling, whereas the genuine article has a slightly upturned mouth and visible crease in the nasolabial fold. The ear and undulations around it are also discrepanct.

If it is real gold, .9999 fine will indent readily. Additionally, you could weigh it and determine if it is exactly one troy ounce. Using coin calipers, you could also determine the precise dimensions and correlate that to the manufacturer's specifications.

Frosting on the silver monkey looks grainy. Perth Mint frosting is smooth. I would say that fits with a forgery. Alibaba strikes again!

Not sure about the Kennedys. 1/30 ounce is maybe about a gram of silver, so not worth much in bullion value.

5. Cardtheorist

Cardtheorist New Member

Well, the kennedys would be great if they were real gold. The guy at the place used the scanner and said the stuff was fake but said the gold flakes may well be real. They're sealed in the glass bulbs so I need to open em somehow. Got a workshop where I work, luckily.

6. Junk Silver

Junk Silver Member Silver Stacker

Gold is fake. Where it says one ounce it should say 100 dollars.

7. Beyond

Beyond Well-Known Member

99.99% fa ke

8. Cardtheorist

Cardtheorist New Member

I think I'll just buy em online, the cheapest I found is $0.69 over spot for .999 1oz's in the US. I only spent a small bit in the event they were fake from the sale, at least

9. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The seller had a verifier, even a cheap one $500 and not many stackers buy them unless they get into it seriously.
    And the seller said it was fake?

Since it is unlikely the seller is a crook, I hope the stuff you haven't listed have some value.

10. Cardtheorist

Cardtheorist New Member

Sorry, I meant I took it to a different guy the same day and he said it was fake. Most of the seller's stuff was fake, it should have been a redder flag than it was to me. At the end of the day, its no big deal; I expected some of it wouldn't be worth anything and so only bought a little.

11. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

I think a plated coin is worth nothing, not $100 and not $1. So that $20 of it appears to me as a loss.
    That whole "plated" market segment, probably drives on people thinking or hoping it's real and seller not aware of gold / whatever value.