Non-Financial Assets in SMSF

Discussion in 'Superannuation' started by zargor, Jul 7, 2012.

1. zargor

zargor Member

Apologies as I suspect this would have been discussed in prior posts, however, I'm having a "brain-f**t".

Just considering the whole range of what an SMSF can invest in, excluding financial assets, such as shares, bonds and cash.

Obviously there are PMs and artwork (notwithstanding recent rule changes), but I'm looking at other "hard" assets that a fund can invest in and from which can receive an income.

Naturally, there is property (of whatever type) which can be rented, however, if needing a loan to do so then this means that you will have to jump through hoops with establishment costs and annual audits because of the structure. If no loan, then you may be limited in the type of property you can acquire due to maybe only having $100k or so in funds.

Has anybody come across more "inventive" assets held by a SMSF, which can earn an income but do not necessarily require significant funds or borrowings to invest?

Appreciate any assistance you can give to get my brain going again.

Zargor :)

2. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Have a look through the "Other investments" thread. There's whisky barrels, ATM's and a few others.

3. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

How about forestry scams err schemes and classic cars?