NGC vs PCGS vs House Fire (aftermath recovery from fireproof safe).

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by JurassicMetal, Jan 26, 2021.

1. JurassicMetal

JurassicMetal Member

After the total loss of my home in the devastating Oregon wildfires of 2020 I was able to recover several of my graded coins from within a Sentry brand fire safe.

First, I should mention that all the slabbed graded coins (PCGS and NGC) that were not in the safe were totally destroyed and melted down into the rocks and gravel under where my home once was, all of the plastic slabs were completely gone from both companies leaving behind some interesting sculptures of rock, silver and gold.

Several weeks later after the fires, we were allowed back up to our "ash pits" where I recovered my badly burned Sentry safe and after opening it with a giant crowbar I was surprised to see that all of my assorted house & car keys that hung inside the safe were in near perfect condition along with some OEM coin boxes and plastic flips also in great condition and then there were the slabbed and graded coins.

The PCGS coins suffered little damage and basically got so hot that they sank into the substance that holds the coins in place, some of the other coins graded by PCGS had no visible damage of any type as if they were not involved in the fire.

Then there was the NGC coin in slab, it was totally destroyed, see pictures below the PCGS coins will be sent in and re-holdered, the NGC coin will just be kept for show and tell. pcgs vs ngc front med.jpg pcgs vs ngc back.jpg

2. ppier

ppier Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

All the best with the recovery
    Sentry fire safe looks to have performed

JurassicMetal and 66rounds like this.
  3. JurassicMetal

JurassicMetal Member

Thank you for your best wishes.

4. JohnnyBravo300

JohnnyBravo300 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Crazy man. It's something I think about here in Colorado too.