NGC now recognize mirrored/frosted 2003 variety gold Pandas

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by silverstar1, Nov 14, 2012.

1. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

I just saw that NGC now attributes mirrored / frosted variety (like on the 10y silver coin) for gold coins but they are only recognizing it on the 20 and 100 Y coins, I think this is strange because I have had 2 graded 50Y 2003 gold coins with very distinct mirrored vs frosted bamboo (and from different OMP) which I have wondered since I noticed it when /if they will attribute this. Does anyone have an answer why they would not recognize the variety in the 50y coin ? or would it be worth sending it to them as maybe they have not seen the different varieties?

2. jc888888888

jc888888888 New Member Silver Stacker

I saw some discussion about this on the other MCC board CCF and some contact info for a guy at NGC about the prospect of grading all denominations

3. silverbulldog

silverbulldog New Member

thats pretty sweet.

now that these have been recognized for quite some time on the 1oz Silver Mirrored vs Frosted can anyone say how Rare these mirrored bamboo's really are?

i want to buy one but the prices seem steep at the moment and i am wondering if more will come onto the market that will bring the price down.

for you panda pros would you say now is a good time to buy a mirrored 2003 Silver 1oz or should i wait?

Silverbulldog

4. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

I am not a panda pro, nor a pro at anything for that matter, but I have been scouring for the mirrored version since I heard of them. One thing I think you could be sure of is that if someone were to come up with a large qty of the mirror version and dump them on the market the prices would at least temporarily go down. But in looking for these at least on ebay there seems to be a far larger amount of the frosted version available and from my experience all of the in Shenzhen Guobau OMP are the frosted version and all that I have sent from Shenyang OMP have been the mirrored version, but I remember even Peter Anthony has said not all the Shenyang are mirrored bamboo and he obviously has way more knowledge and experience than me. I have also noticed two different varieties in the panda leg on the mirrored version.

I dont think anyone can answer the buy now or wait question but it seems the mirrored in ms69 tend to sell in the $300-$400 range and I dont think they will be getting cheaper but I could see them in the $400-$500 range at some point but who knows? I guess time will tell