NGC & 2009 S10Y 30th Anniversary Modern Commemorative Coin

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by Dave92029, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Dave92029

Dave92029 New Member

I have a NGC MS69 2009 S10Y 30th Anniversary Modern Commemorative Coin that is part of my NGC Collection manager, but is not part of my Silver 10Y competitive set.

Is there are reason why NGC graded this coin but does not allow it in their Silver Panda 10Y competitive set?

I have asked this question to NGC, but I'm not getting what I feel is a straight answer. This seems strange because NGC recognized lots of unauthorized varieties/ errors of the Panda, but excludes a variety authorized by the Gov't.

I recall that at one time NGC gave more points in the competitive sets to the 30th Anniversary labeled coins than the did to the regular 2009 coins, (mintage 300k vs 600K) but now NGC doesn't recognize the 30th anniversary coin at all. What happened? Why?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Dave

2. dirtyape

dirtyape New Member

I do not know the answer to your question. But i think the graded 2009 regular pandas are less often seen on evil-bay than their 30th anniversary counterparts. Most of the graded regulars also have spot and staining problems. Just my 0.02.