next gold purchase?

Discussion in 'Gold' started by Nejmeh, Oct 5, 2011.

1. jnkmbx

jnkmbx Well-Known Member

Holding for 2 years only? Well then, may as well go with 2 x Perth Mint or PAMP bars.

Easy to buy and easy to sell, minimal speculation :p

2. Wout

Wout New Member

my opinion is dont buy numismatics with extra high premiums.

Iether 1 oz perth mint bars or gold sovereigns which are jst under 1/4 of an ounce, well known throughout the world and the fact they are fractional means you can sell 1 at a time etc and people will be able to afford them when gold is $3000

3. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Agreed. If you're not into speculating gains then get PM/PAMP Gold bars either in sizes of 10g or 1oz.

Although sovs are generally cheap and supposed to be liquid, a few have been listed on SS recently matching W Davis prices yet not selling (ie. very cheap).

Depends what you're after really, if you want something that's going to move with spot price only and is pure .999 (which Asian markets generally prefer), PM/PAMP Gold bars.

If you want something that's pretty with a slightly higher premium, ducats, britannias, AGEs, Philharmonics etc

If you wish to speculate on potential numismatic gains, Pandas.

I'd avoid $200 and sovs just because I have seen them sell a few times below spot, but never seen a 1oz bar or 999 ingot sell below spot.

4. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

Fishball, there is a potential problem with the britannias and the AGEs. Both are 22k and may attract an import tax in some countries. Buffaloes are 24k and so are Maples.

5. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Good point, forgot about that.

GST, also an important consideration when buying Gold.

6. Nejmeh

Nejmeh New Member

thanks everyone for your responses. ive got it down to either PM / PAMP 1oz or 5g bars or Panda's 1oz or 1/4oz coins.

great advise above, thanks again.

7. PrettyPrettyShinyShiny

PrettyPrettyShinyShiny Well-Known Member

Yeah iv had $200 koalas, sovereigns, maples, a 1987 nugget, pm bars in certicards and some very cool abc poured ingots. Have to say, the ingots were the sexiest as I loved the character and they had low premium. Those ingots are had to find now tho. The maples looked lovely as well but of course was kept in a sleeve and not touched tho. The Perth mint certicard bars are well presented and look great but again, no 'touch factor'.

Dont really like overseas numismatics and pandas have been forged in silver, so I wouldn't buy gold ones myself either. When something like that has been forged, it scared me away from them and now I have acquired a distrust for Chinese pms ... Too dubious for me.

8. Nejmeh

Nejmeh New Member

why does forging scare you away? how are the Panda's made differently to say Kooks.

9. PrettyPrettyShinyShiny

PrettyPrettyShinyShiny Well-Known Member

It's purely psychological. The idea that a group of people have targeted a coin makes me have to be ever more vigilant if I were to pursue buying pandas. Kookaburras are manufactured in the Perth mint, one of the most trusted mints in the world. It is really only my opinion, and I dont know the ins and outs of panda manufacture, but I just have more trust in Perth mint products. I had a look on eBay and there seemed to be a lot of panda coins in certified cases with special grading and what not. This may be more assurance to the buyer, but it could also be viewed as a signal that panda fakes are rampant and there is extra requirement to protect buyers and sellers. This is all my gut feeling tho, as I have not done extensive research on these products. There is a whole section on this website dedicated to pandas, so they are popular here, that's for sure. Just not my cup of tea.

10. Dapperdan

Dapperdan New Member

In this context I believe PrettyShiny means forged as in fake, not the manufacturing process.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

THUCY's advice is "ROCK SOLID" he is an old hand and the counter argument re them seen as selling for spot can apply to all gold coins sold here from time to time especially at the moment.
    Don't forget a few things,Sovereigns are one of the most recognised gold coins in the world and have stood the test of time.
    You don't have to keep Sovereigns in a stupid plastic folder for them to sell like Panda's.
    And in regards to GST well there are plenty of people who will take them off your hands outside of dealerships.
    All products are moving slowly and selling erratically at the moment its really finicky and a buyers market.
    $200 Australian gold coins have a strong following just ask CK and JulieW,these people are (STOP - Hammer time!)[<<WTF<< Every time i try to write S.A.V.V.Y. the bracketed pops in lol] investors.
    The half sovereign advice is just priceless as well.
    Committing to a full one ounce coin is not the best strategy if your starting out,it leaves your liquidating position in an all or nothing Camp.

Good luck

REDBACK