[NEWS] NGC Registry Awards 2012!

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by yennus, Oct 17, 2012.

1. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

http://www.ngccoin.com/news/viewart...cS1&spJobID=55769093&spReportId=NTU3NjkwOTMS1

Every year, NGC awards the top Competitive Sets and Custom Sets in the NGC Registry. To qualify, your sets must be registered by 5 p.m. EST on Dec. 3, 2012. Winners will be announced Jan. 11, 2013.

As in past years, the winners will include world-class collections and incredible exhibitions. Make sure yours are among them, and see if your collection has what it takes! This year, awards are being presented in the following categories:
    Competitive Set Awards

Awards will be presented in the following four categories:

The FIVE Best CLASSIC Sets: 1792-1964
    The FIVE Best MODERN Sets: 1950 to date (including Jefferson Nickels and Roosevelt Dimes)
    The FIVE Best PRESENTED Sets: Sets with the best descriptive text and coin images
    The FIVE Best WORLD Sets

Custom Set Awards

Awards will be presented in the following four categories:

The Best Overall Custom Set
    The Best World Custom Set
    The Most Creative Custom Set
    The Most Informative Custom Set

Take the honors in one of these categories, and you'll receive a personalized plaque, an icon of recognition next to your set's registry listing and up to five Deluxe PHOTO PROOFS or five NGC Photo Vision presentations of NGC coins from your winning set.

To participate, just enter your set online in the NGC Registry. Sets must be at least 50% complete to be eligible for the award categories above.
    Collectors Journal Awards

Additionally, we will award three outstanding Collectors Journal authors. We will consider an author's complete collection of journal entries in determining the winners. Journals entries will be judged on writing talent, creativity, enthusiasm, numismatic knowledge and, most importantly, the sharing of a personal sense of the collecting journey. The winning authors will receive a personalized plaque and an icon of recognition on their homepages.

Also, collectors with the #1 set in each category will receive an icon of recognition by his / her set in the Registry and a certificate of achievement.

The deadline for set registration and journal entries is 5 p.m. ET on December 3, 2012.

Winners will be announced on January 11, 2013.

Congratulations to Panda Halves for coming third in the Best Presented Set category in 2011 with his "Gold 1/2 Ounce Panda, 1982-2011, Mint State and Proof".

http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/Coins/awards/WinningSets.aspx?AwardYearID=35

Judge's Comments:

China's series of Panda bullion coins is so extensive that this collector has opted to on all the gold half-ounce issues alone, including both proof and uncirculated issues. This complete collection from 1982 through 2011 is fully illustrated and includes an extensive introductory essay. The owner describes in some detail the appeal and rarity of the gold half-ounce series and provides a number of reasons why these coins make a worthy collection in and of themselves. This is an interesting and complete tutorial which epitomizes the mission of the NGC Registry to educate collectors and draw them into the collecting experience.

Amazing collection.

Go here to see the details:

http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/Coins/awards/WinningSetDetail.aspx?AwardSetID=25203

His description of some of the Panda years is an enjoyable read.

E.g. 1/2oz Gold 1982 Panda

A quality 1982 Panda is a good place to start for the panda collecting enthusiast. I happened to have a coin I bought at auction that graded for MS68. I met someone who wanted a set of other coins I owned and who had a 1982 graded at MS69. I traded him the coins he wanted and my MS68 for the MS69. The deal really worked out. Many gem examples have minute flaws such as bag marks or scuffs from the original plastic. My original MS68 coin was still sealed in the plastic but the seal was too tight and created marks on the frosty luster around the rims. Companies like NCS/NGC are great because they take valuable coins out of hostile environments and preserve them. Those original soft plastic pouches are not the greatest protection for a panda investment. 1982 pandas come at a premium but this premium is less than some of the rarer dates in the 1990s. The first date continues to be a good investment. The 1982 panda fields vary widely and can have a fantastic frosty luster or a deep mirror finish. There are still several on the open market so it is wise to shop around.

1982 Panda
    Face Value: N/A (government declared 50Y legal tender)
    Coin Weight: 1/2oz
    Content: .999gold
    Diameter: 27mm
    Quality: Mint State
    Mintage Authorized: 13,300
    Mintage Actual: 13,391

MS69: 1 of 113
    NONE HIGHER

Panda Fact:
    The Chinese word for panda is xingmao which translates in English to "Bear Cat."

Anyone intending to win this years NGC Registry Awards 2012?

Best wishes to all entrants.

2. jc888888888

jc888888888 New Member Silver Stacker

wow !!! unbelievable collection ,Panda halves must be proud ,I droolled thru the whole thing:)

3. yennus

Yep, it's pretty stunning.

I wonder how much it cost to put it all together, and how long it took?

4. jc888888888

cost today= plenty:) time: lots just kidding , today it would be hard to put that set together unless you had unlimited funds....Yennus you registering?? I have been trying to bribe my wife to at least enter my coins in the collection manager ,no luck yet :), I do think I have a pretty good collection of commemerative and expo panda,s ,if i could only find time ,maybe this weekend:)

5. yennus

I was considering entering... but then again, my collection is pretty small compared to Panda Halves, Comeaux, etc...

Also, I don't have the funds to complete some years.

I think you, Comeaux and 25Grizzlies (and also Fishball) would be ideal candidates to enter :)

I'm hoping to get a 1985 Brass Panda... if that happens, I'll submit just those 3 (1983, 1984 and 1985 Brass Pandas) :) ... I don't think I'll win, but I'll be very satisfied :)

6. jc888888888

You are too modest:) your collection I am sure is stunning based upon the beautiful coins you have sent me!! I am working on that 85 for you bro:) one thing if I find it:) you have to name the collection the Yennus888888888 collection, deal?? you got the 83?

7. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

I won't win anything yennus haha... but I already have most of my coins up in the collection manager just for fun.

Heck comeaux has 2-3 1oz Panda SETS that completely beat my main set :p.

Was going to complete the 1990 Historical Figures set but I'm missing the 1/3oz Gold coin in PF69/70 grade or I'd be #1 there (or so it was 2 months ago)... and it costs over 2 grand soooo too rich for me :p

8. yennus

heeh... If I can afford the 1985, I'll probably name it the Yennus888 collection :)

Yep, the 83 just landed :) Thnx!

9. yennus

Yeah, his set kinda trumps everyone else :)

10. jc888888888

I am feeling lucky lately.............. ill find the 85:):) for you.............. i found the pf70 83 in a real weird pile of coins at a USA coin dealers shop