Newbie to Silver

Discussion in 'Silver' started by GeordieGirl, Sep 10, 2015.

1. GeordieGirl

GeordieGirl Active Member

Hi guys, I'm a newbie to silver buying and I'm wondering where's the best place to buy.I was looking on here for a list of dealers but, if I understand it right, the list has disappeared due to a server glitch. If that's not correct, can someone tell me where it is please. Thank you. :)

2. Shippeevt

Shippeevt Member

Where country are you in?

3. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Top left under the silver round, click index and then scroll down to see the list of Site Sponsors.

4. GeordieGirl

I'm in Australia. :)

5. GeordieGirl

Thank you. :)

6. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Welcome to the forum GeordieGirl.

I'm outside of Australia so the dealers I buy from would be of little to no use to you.

You have come into stacking at a great time. Many stackers were paying more than AUD $57/oz for silver blob just a few short years ago.

No matter what premiums you will pay these days the silver you will be buying will be a very good bargain compared to what some of us have already paid not too many years ago. That means with the same money, you can buy a lot more ounces of silver. You are already ahead of the game in that respect.

Happy silver buying!

7. hamannmj

hamannmj New Member

I don't know....maybe.

You see, Silver is up nearly 250% from just 10 years ago...and, it sat sideways for a few decades prior to that. From my perspective, buying silver at $57 was an absolute FAIL, and just because Silver is priced a lot less than the very TOP of a Bubble...doesn't necessarily mean anything.

We could see silver drop to $10-$12...and sit there for 20 years.

Bad investment potential.

Good investment potential.

I'd say you can't go wrong buying silver at today's prices (because it'd make us all feel good about our own investments)......but, you can.

8. swoydaz

swoydaz Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Welcome.

Google might be another way to help you compile a list of bullion dealers.

Not knowing which State you are from, I strongly recommend Goldstackers who are in Melbourne.

9. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

I agree that "just because Silver is priced a lot less than the very TOP of a Bubble...doesn't necessarily mean anything."

But I wholly disagree with your other assertion about the past. Before the decades it went sideways, people used horses to travel long distances because the car wasn't invented till many, many decades later. So what if decades ago for decades it went sideways???

Just because something was, whether 500 years ago or even 10 years ago, doesn't mean it has much of anything to do with today necessarily. Today the dynamics are different than back decades ago.

The world is a digital world in many respects and it moves at a radically faster pace than it did a few decades ago. There are many other very obvious significant and possibly very important differences between today and 30 or whatever years ago.

That's not to say that the spot price can't hang horizontal for years to come but it won't be because it did decades ago. I'm looking at a silver chart starting from Jan 1985 till the present and what I see is that the price movement in the past 10 years is very different from any time prior to that. We should not look to assume that what is happening today is or should be based on what happened 25 (or no matter how many decades) years ago.

I don't know the future but why do you stop at suggesting silver could fall to $10-$12....why not 10-12 cents an ounce??? It's just as plausible as suggesting that silver might go sideways because decades ago it did.

Now if you say that your suggestion is an intuition, then okay, that's different. I've seen some intuitions that are far more accurate than conclusions based on fancy technicals. And besides, we are all entitled to our intuitions whether they hit on the mark or not.

My intuition tells me we won't see silver lower than USD $14 before we see it higher than $41.

10. C.H.

C.H. Active Member Silver Stacker

And Welcome to you Mr. PermaBear!
    Your kind is very rare on this forum.

I always recommend to join RealEstate'R'Us and GovermentIsGreat forums.

/sarcasm if it wasn't obvious

11. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I buy nearly all of my silver from Goldstackers, they keep it in their safe for me for free and when I have accumulated enough they stick it all in an envelope and post it to me. I also buy small amounts of unallocated from them and then when I get enough I convert it into the larger, lower premium offerings.

Premiums and postage all add to the cost so if I can lower them, buy only paying for one lot of postage, it all helps. The less money I spend on postage the more I can spend on silver.

12. Trowsa

Trowsa Member

Hi. New in PM's. I was wondering if anyone could recommend where or who to buy silver coins (preferably Liberty or Maples) or bars in Melbourne or surrounds. I have been buying from ABC Bullion mostly. It would be nice to go into a shop and browse.
    Thanks
    Geoff

13. GeordieGirl

Thanks swoydaz. I am in WA. I have had a look around and done some research .. what do you think of Bullionmark? There doesn't seem to be much in Perth except for the mint, which I have read is not the best place to buy from because of the premium.

14. GeordieGirl

Thank you swoydaz. I am in WA. I have been doing a bit of research .. what's your opinion of Bullionmark?

15. Askari

Askari Active Member Silver Stacker

Hi Geordie
    I'm also pretty new to PMs, but made a few purchases from Bulliomark. They are def one of the more reputable dealers available. Staff is friendly and helpful. No issues with my purchases. In terms of selection & price it really depends on your preference. I found that at times some items were cheaper than at other dealers and at other times a bit more expensive. Depending on what you want to buy and how much it may be worth looking around a bit.

16. hamannmj

hamannmj New Member

As a sidenote, I love how mmissinglink described horses, pre-1900, before we had cars, and I was talking about 2004 . Nothing like bringing up something so far in the past to try and kill my argument/opinion. Before boats were invented, the price of curry was $1000 an ounce in some countries.
    I'm not alone in my assessment. It's the same song and dance every time I come to a new forum. Obviously, this forum is pro silver, but really? I know, I know, this time will be different. Silver, now, will be $100 in 5 years. I get it. I was simply giving some advice, about silver and it's very long history, and that it should be priced a lot higher than it is now, but it's not. There are no guarantees. Someone that is new to silver, is legitimately asking the questions and are trying to gather some truths about the future of silver. My entire point, is that silver is 250% higher than it was 11 years ago. Take the bubble way, I.e, similar to 1980, and silver is barely a hedge against inflation, if at all. As new technologies are developed, silver could, emphasis on could, be as mundane as zinc or copper.

So for the new person asking questions about silver, please understand there are Bulls and there are Bears, but the truth is usually somewhere inbetween, and remember that those that bought at $25-30+ are twitching...walking in circles, hoping it goes back up soon...so all of their arguments are based on silver going to the moon. As recent as ONLY 11 years ago, silver was $6+. Not a bad investment when it's nearly 250% higher today.

I see silver sideways for a decade, with it moving up or down on hype,panic, in 30% swings...from $12 to $18.

17. hamannmj

hamannmj New Member

Thank you! And reasonable advice is just as rare on this forum.

18. fishtaco

fishtaco Active Member Silver Stacker

Welcome :)

Perth Bullion is in Belmont and once inside they have most of their new silver items on display.

On average PB is cheaper than Perth Mint has reasonable postage and accepts paypal for online orders.

19. GeordieGirl

Thank you so much, fishtaco. I really appreciate you telling me that. :)

20. amar0821ag

amar0821ag New Member

Hi Everyone, Amar here...USA (Florida)...of course new here, been hanging around reading post for a few weeks now. I also believe we'll see lower $$$ before we see higher. What is a fair premium?... The dealers are in business to make a profit, and deserve to do so...But, some of the premiums I see are outrageous, anyone have any advise?