Newbie question: Why similar coins sold at different price?

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by Syd888, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Syd888

Syd888 New Member

Yes, this is what I would expect, too. But for some reason US Mint coins are more expensive than others. Especially their gold coins. I personally think that 1 oz Kangaroo is better designed and has more aesthetically pleasing look. But it's ~$70 cheaper than American Eagle. Go figure.

2. alex.ross

alex.ross New Member

American Eagle are 22 Karat coins which are subjected to GST in Australia. That's why it's more expensive compared to 24 Karat PM coins.

3. Syd888

Syd888 New Member

Thanks for clarification. I didn't know this.

4. Philski

Philski Member

Market demand, then mintage, then quality and eye appeal and floss like packaging and marketing. and, lastly i guess the original mint location. It cost money to ship things sometimes overseas to make it easier for us, to buy them from one place as a customer.

5. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

"Transportation costs from Canada/US should be the same. And for Australian coins it must be even cheaper. But the Australian coin is the most expensive of these three."

Hi Syd888, i find the last two lines of your post compelling because it really made me realise how much PM are taking the piss but they would have 3 additonal overheads i can think of other than Jislizards.. (hehe)

New Disign every year
    Capsule
    Less coins minted hence cost per coin relative to the each die would be more.
    and aussies being stupidly rich

I doubt these would make up the full additonal price PM charges for Bullion, just chalk that up to the "PM factor" making it cheaper to import bullion in from the other side of the planet.. go figure.

Also the mintage/die argument may be a fallacy cos the maples and eagles do change (date) so its all new dies etc every year and dies need replacing every few hundred thousand so there is less variance than most would imagine.. just the cost of pthe artist putting the image on the die id imagine.

6. Syd888

Syd888 New Member

This is what I found in regard to milk spots on Canadian Maples: Royal Canadian Mint's official position on "milk spots" on silver Maple Leaf coins

So, basically every mint charges above the spot price whatever they can get away with.