Newbie Question About Silver Original Packaging - Johnson Matthey 1 oz

Discussion in 'Silver' started by crasch26, Aug 16, 2015.

1. crasch26

crasch26 New Member

The 1oz Johnson Matthey bars come in the original sealed packaging. Will it hurt the value if I take it out of the packaging? What about if I immediately place it in an airtite capsule?

I am brand spankin new to silver stacking and received my first shipment of four 1 oz bars and four 1 oz rounds. Each round came in a coin flip, which obviously doesn't keep air and moisture from entering. One of the flips was already torn when I received it and I can't easily see both faces of the round because of the logo. I placed all four rounds into airtite capsules and I like these so much better. I don't have to worry about the rounds getting banged up, getting moisture on them, etc. Plus i can easily stack them, place them in an airtite tube, and just handle and look at them easier.

3 of the 4 bars came in a crappy, tiny ziplock bag that already had holes worn into them. I placed these in airtite capsules as well. But the 1 bar from Johnson Matthey came in a sealed plastic. I did a little researching and found out that JM produces these in sheets of 20, so the 1 bar that I got was cut from a sheet of 20. But how important is this sealed packaging? I mean it's nice that I know it came straight from the mint this way, but will someone who buys it from me 10+ years from now care that it's in the original sealed plastic? The plastic is pretty thin and I think that eventually the plastic may tear, possibly without me realizing it. So I would almost feel better about it if I place it in an airtite capsule now so that I don't have that concern anymore. Plus, that would allow me to stack it easier with the rest of my 1 oz bars.

I know that some of you will say that the silver content is all that matters (and some of you will question why I am placing generic rounds and bars in capsules anyway), but the JM bars are a bit more expensive than other bars out there. So I am wondering if the sealed plastic is contributing to this premium and if I should keep it in the original plastic to get some of that premium back when I resell it? Or does the plastic not really matter when I go to resell it?

What has your experience been?

Thanks!

2. bull_bear

bull_bear New Member Silver Stacker

I don't think it matters for these bars as they are mass produced with a very high mintage, so unlikely to be sold at a large premium down the track. (with or without plastic packaging)
    And welcome.

3. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

^^^ +1. It's also likely that the plastic contains elements that will expediate the tarnishing. I wouldn't bother spending money on airtites for JM bars, they're too low premium for that.

4. fishtaco

fishtaco Active Member Silver Stacker

There is an airtight 20x1oz stacking box,all my 1ozers have been taken out of the original plastic, I store them in a 20 case naked.

Whats the point of buying silver bars if you dont play with them :)

5. PeterS

PeterS Member

I'm just starting on 10 oz SC minted bars which also come plastic wrapped. I was going to stack them wrapped partly because of the serial number within the wrapping. Need I be thinking further on this?

6. NVU

NVU Member

If the bars are already in mint sealed then I would leave them alone. If you decide to sell them in the future, there're always someone like them in original packaging and never been touched by human hands, especially name-brand items. Generic items on other hand is not worthwhile to put them in holder/capsule etc...

7. Jim4silver

Jim4silver Well-Known Member

8. sterling-nz

sterling-nz Well-Known Member

Fully agree with Maloney House.