New Guy!

Discussion in 'Silver' started by mintydent, Mar 6, 2011.

1. mintydent

mintydent Member

Didn't know if I should post this in the new people forum, or the silver bullion forum.

I've read people say that if you're interested in silver bullion to only buy from reputable dealers, such as PERTH, etc.

My question is what is the difference between a 1oz bar from two different mints? If you're holding one in the left hand, and the other in the right hand, what is the significant difference?

In my mind there is none, but there are different prices from the sites I've visited and I don't know why.

Thanks for your time!

minty

2. boneyard

boneyard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

May I be the first to welcome you.
    enjoy & looking forward to some input /questions.
    Enjoy the ride.

Still got plently of fuel for the ride.

3. Silverthorn

Silverthorn Well-Known Member

Welcome. As to reputable dealers it would be more about the off chance of getting a fake. Lots of people do but I'd never buy of the bay myself.

4. Rothbard

Rothbard New Member

Welcome MintyDent!

Most preferred bars/coins are issued by a recognised government mint such as the Perth Mint. Coins by these mints are also recognised legel tender (1oz silver = $1 coin)

Others are issed by smaller, private mints.

When it comes to content of silver, yes both are the same (if the private mint is legit)...however some people like the security knowing that their bullion are easily recognisable.

Your bullion is only what it is worth if it can be sold. So if there is doubt in your buyers mind about the authenticity or quality of the silver, this may affect the premium above and beyond the silver spot price.

I personally only buy 1oz coins from the Perth Mint after a bad experience about 6 years ago with generic silver rounds.

Its your choice if you want to pay the premiums of brands like PAMP etc.

What are you buying at the moment?

5. boneyard

boneyard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I personally only buy 1oz coins from the Perth Mint after a bad experience about 6 years ago with generic silver rounds.

Terll us more?????

Did they attack you?

What were they?

6. mintydent

mintydent Member

Thanks for the welcome guys :)

Well, I currently live in the US and haven't purchased anything yet. I am looking at Silver and Gold when I sell my house and move in with my grandparents to care for them. More specifically, I'm looking at APMEX.com

So I'm getting that the consensus is that its ultimately when you go to sell the bar as to why you would go with a reputable silver mint instead of just a block of silver from the guy down the road?

Before I even started investing my time in researching this...we found an old cigar box of silver dollars from the early to mid 1900's....took them into a coin shop and got around $500 for them. The guy told me they weren't worth anything as far as the coin itself was concerned due to the wear and tear. Only worth their weight in silver. So, I traded them in. I kind of regret doing it now, but hindsight is always 20/20.

So what bad experience are you referring to jelliott41? If you don't want to talk about it I understand, but a lesson learned from anothers experience is extremely invaluable imho :)

Again, thanks guys! Oh, here's a few pics of the coins that I no longer have. The coin shop was very reputable, and no I didn't get another opinion on it. The guy badmouthed the other coin shop across the street and I took his word at face value. So if I have anything to teach you guys, get another opinion. Even if you trust the guy. He is a businessman and will understand. If he gave you a fair offer, he wont mind.

- minty

[​IMG]
    Source: facebook photos
    [​IMG]
    Source: Facebook photos

7. Rothbard

Rothbard New Member

It was mainly racial slurs and jokes about my bald spot.

Rude.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Welcome mintydent. Sold that box for muggle money eh?

I feel your pain.

Hindsight is always 20/20 and you will never have enough silver, no matter how much you have to spend IMHO.

All I will say is that every single ounce counts. So get what you can, for as long as people are willing to buy your paper with their money.