New from Queensland

Discussion in 'Welcome New Members' started by Kelsey, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Kelsey

Kelsey New Member

Hi All,
    Recently been looking into stacking silver as small % wealth protection type thing. Have already purchased 100 x 1oz Kookaburra and 100 x1oz Kangaroos (from ainslie bullion in bris), and have ended up adding odds an ends (sovereigns etc) to my small coin collection (as I guess you can end up doing when you look at stacking).

Thought I best learn more before I get too seriously into stacking (so learn whats best and also don't end up with a mess). Also trading section of this forum looks like some good prices.

Learning what size coins (10oz, 1kg, or 1oz) to stack etc, do like gold and that would be smartest for the % I'm intending, however just the silver price is in a better place, and would flip to gold should the ratios improve.
    Not sure safety of giving too much details on a forum but I do have very secure commercial storage away from my residence.

Cheers
    Kelsey

2. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Welcome aboard!

Sounds like you doing ok so far.

I have been avoiding Perth Mint products for the past couple of years because of some quality control issues they were having around 'milk spotting' on the coins.

Not sure if they have corrected the issue but the premiums on the Kookaburras was too high for a product that wasn't quite up to the quality. I do have a lot of the old ones though.

The kangaroos had the same issue but were meant to be a cheaper option, still more than I am willing to pay though.

For coins, the popular size is the 1oz that you have been stacking. The other sizes do get a higher premium as people chase them for sets but there are fewer people interested in them overall.

Dealers will only buy them back for spot so try not to spend too much on premiums if that is your intended way of shifting them later on.

I don't buy often as I reached my stacking goals a while back. But I started off with circulating pre decimal coins, went into pure silver coins, then into pure silver rounds, the pure silver bars, then into circulating pre decimal coins again, but in bigger volume. I have some gold but most I have converted into silver when the gold: ratio went about 60.

If you have to pay for storage then gold is probably better value. I soon ran out of storage for low premium silver offerings.

Best of luck

Kelsey likes this.
  3. Oddjob

Oddjob Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

G'day and welcome...some thoughtful comments there Kelsey. ;)

Enjoy the forum. Good info and good discussion inside.

Kelsey likes this.
  4. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Welcome to the forum.

Kelsey likes this.
  5. Kelsey

Kelsey New Member

Thanks everyone for the welcoming!

Jizlizard, I have to admit the Kangaroos I purchased have some milk spotting, and the Kookaburra have some tarnish (even though they are still in their original cases with plastic tubes) which I wondered about because I've odds and ends of silver coins I've bought over the years (some 20 odd years) and none have ever tarnished...hmmm my oldest silver looks better condition then my new silver.

I mentioned it but never pushed the point as I got them "on special" (now I know why the discount) at as close to spot as I'd seen Perthmint coins., as the aim for my silver stack is to buy as close to spot but still keeping them well known mints; for future liquidity (as I do intend to flip for gold if the ratio swings).

My secure storage is something i've had for many years and not rented for gold or silver, however will just come in handy for that now I am stacking.

Looks plenty to explore and learn on this forum :)

Cheers
    Kelsey

Jislizard likes this.