New comer, question about 40% silver coins

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Rob Bennett, Jan 2, 2021.

?

How much "junk silver" do you collect alongside your bullion?

1. Equal distribution

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. Mostly bullion with little to no junk

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  3. Mostly junk silver with a small amount of bullion

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Rob Bennett

Rob Bennett New Member

Hey all,

Just started investing in bullion a month ago and looking for advice. In addition to the pure silver bullion (combo of Silver Eagles and various minted bars), I was looking at the "40% junk silver" Kennedy Half dollars that bullion sites are selling.

Seems like a good idea because, if things go sideways and we need to start using silver as currency, junk silver will be easier to transact, esp for small day-to-day purchases. It is also a more common and recognizable currency, which should help it "spend" during a crisis.

Am I on the right track here? Or are the 40% coins a trap for newbies? Thanks!

2. neonuke

neonuke Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Go for 90% coins, in my experience higher purity coins find buyers more quickly if you need to liquidate.

It’s somewhat similar to here in Australia where we had pre 1946 Sterling silver junk silver Predecimal coins versus post 1945 50% junk silver. I’m able to sell the Sterling 92.5% stuff much quicker.

In my experience the premium to buy junk silver is also lower, but obviously is also the case when selling.

Have a bit of both pure bullion and junk silver. Look for good deals on either type when you buy. As the saying goes you make your profit in your buys or something along those lines.

3. JohnnyBravo300

JohnnyBravo300 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You dont need all that copper, stick with 90 percent, sterling or .999 fine imo.
    40 percent takes up too much room and people dont generally want it very much.
    Same with war nickels.
    They arent even profitable to melt down for most people.