New annual release gov. backed bullion round/coin - Korean Tiger

Discussion in 'Gold Coins' started by atlas, Apr 23, 2016.

1. atlas

atlas Member

Just reading that the South Korean mint is releasing an annual bullion round/coin in June. Not too much detail but from the article photo it looks like they have three sizes. The article title refers to a 'coin' but the article then mentions a 'medal'. Hopefully it will be denominated as legal tender.

The design looks pretty decent. I've seen a lot of Korean bullion and one thing they are lacking is a nicely designed annual coin series. You can find ridiculously nice 1kg minted silver bars there (very high premium) but when it comes to gold most is sold in blob or jewellery/ornamental form.

Will have to wait and see if they will indeed be coins and what the premium is like.

http://www.coinweek.com/bullion-rep...korea-release-korean-tiger-bullion-coin-june/

2. dragafem

dragafem Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

me like it,tiger :)

3. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

These are nice, how would one go about getting these?

As for your comment about gold being sold in blob or jewellery form, it's a big traditional gift for babies.
    It would surprise you how much a baby from an well to do family might be given, especially if it is the first born from family, close friends and even colleagues.

4. atlas

atlas Member

Yeah babies can get quite a bit of gold but usually in small quantities (3.75g).

Going by the article it looks like they are trying to start competing with other world bullion coin series, so hopefully it will be legal tender and sold with a competitive premium.

If so, perhaps larger dealers will pick some up for sale in Australia. Otherwise maybe a SS members group purchase.

5. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Do national mints make non legal tender? Though I can see these competing with gold baby rings.

It really looks good, any rumours on silver versions.

if it looks good as the ones on the website, than I'll def get some.