Much lurk, less trades, need help / advice

Discussion in 'Questions & Comments' started by PureAg, May 21, 2023.

1. PureAg

PureAg Member

Hey all,

Joined here ages ago, but really just been a lurker to the site over the years and stacking on the quiet.

As many of you can no doubt relate, the rising rates and cost of living is biting hard and I'm looking to start selling off some stock to make ends meet.

I've never done any trading here, so I don't have a track record to work with and prove I'm not some commie bot trying to scam people.

How does one get started here trading so that I can get fair price for my stack, without getting burned?

I can post anywhere in Aus via express post / or if you live in Western Sydney I can do a face to face.

I'll get a photo soon of my stack with a dated picture to prove I'm legit (I have several hundred ounces of various silver & a little gold), I'm just trying to understand how to do this safely for myself and the buyers here.

Any feedback / advice is welcome, appreciate the help from the pros around here!

Shaddam IV likes this.
  2. GF

GF Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Start by selling slow value items….ie 66 rounds or couple of ounces. Be prepared to send first and be paid on the buyer receiving, testing whatever. Let buyers know you are selling only to those with great feed back to start… and ask for and give feedback.

AgAuPtPd, jultorsk, 1Tim58 and 2 others like this.
  3. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

Trusted Buyers , members with good reputation.

You can advertise your items here.

https://www.silverstackers.com/forums/index.php?forums/australia-new-zealand-public.30/

1Tim58 likes this.
  4. PureAg

PureAg Member

This is good advice, thanks for posting.

I am prepared to send first to trusted and established buyers here just to give confidence to the rest of the community I'm the real deal.

I'll get a stack photo sorted here soon so people can see what I'm about. I know I'm a legit trader, but I fully appreciate that you get all sorts in this world and the onus of proof isn't on the good traders of this community.

I think the biggest silver lot I have is a 20oz silver bar and a 1oz Gold Bar from Perth Mint, but I have a good variety of almost everything silver/gold accumulated over the years.

Quick question on sending items, is Australia Express Post pretty standard around here? I am trying to work out the best way to safely send with tracking here.

5. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

Azure likes this.
  6. PureAg

PureAg Member

Perfect. That's exactly what I was after.

Okay, time to get myself sorted then!

When I have my stack photo, I'll post it here so people can see what I have in the kitty and know I'm a legit stacker.

Hopefully I won't have any bad experiences, my lurking ways have shown me there's a good crew on this forum so I think we'll be smooth as long as I'm working with good people here.

7. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

There will be a Sydney meetup this Sunday at 1pm at Ryde. You should be able to do some face to face trades for cash.

jultorsk and GF like this.
  8. GF

DO NOT SHARE YOUR STACK PHOTO HERE!

no-one needs to know what you have or don't have and for your own protection do not share. Also...do not share where you live. If posting use your work or Post Box address for returns.

Be safe

9. PureAg

PureAg Member

Oh really? Well thanks for the heads up there, I'm a bit of a bunny on trading and didn't consider that would be a risk. I was just going to post from the post office using a standard express post satchel for the transactions and us the return address as my home address, but what you're saying actually makes sense.

Well, I could just use a work address if that's the case, no skin off my nose but I definitely see your point.

Regarding the stack photo, what if I post a photo of just the item(s) I'm selling with a note with my username / date in it so people know it's a real thing?

I guess I'm just trying to learn how to do transactions here the right way to give people peace of mind dealing with me moving forward as I don't have a rep built up here yet.

I appreciate people can be a bit nervous dealing with a new trader, so I want to do what I have to here to ensure not only fair trades, but safe transactions for all. I have a fair bit of stock to move over the coming weeks/months, so I want to ensure I do things right.

Yeah I saw that actually. Over at West Ryde RSL is it? It's a bit of a hike for me from where I am, but not totally out of the question.

If I can simple start with smaller trades here with trusted buyers to build up a rep, that's fine as I'm in no major hurry to move stock.

What do people think would be a reasonable 'first trade' to do here? 5 x 1oz coins or less? I might look through the trade sub forum to see what the general format for sales is.

I'll get something set up to kick things off over the next day or two and see how it goes.

10. GF

what if I post a photo of just the item(s) I'm selling with a note with my username / date in it so people know it's a real thing? = Perfect

PS...your going to be fine. Sell because you want to...not for likes or feedback scores. SS is only one way to move your stack.

11. PureAg

PureAg Member

Okay, great then!

I think I have enough info now to get started, it's both exciting and a little terrifying :D

Thanks for your help here everyone, really appreciated.

12. SilverNGold

SilverNGold Well-Known Member

Hi, you could apply for a free Aust Post Parcel Collect or Parcel Locker number, and use it as your return address or future delivery address. Then download the Australia Post app to enter the tracking number to keep track of the parcels journey. Sending or receiving.
    Been using it a few years now. Works like a charm and all free.
    What else can you get free such as this nowadays.
    Good luck!

screwedon likes this.
  13. SilverNGold

Don't be terrified. It is just some useless fiat currency and barbarous relic!
    The sun will always come out the next day...... well most places.

14. PureAg

PureAg Member

Oh wow, I didn't know that was actually a thing. I have a post office not too far from me, so I'll investigate this option.

I'm fine to just go with the express post satchels as they are fast and come with tracking.

That said, what's common around here for express post delivery? Do we add that to the sale cost or is it generally absorbed by the seller? Don't want to treat on toes there and assume the wrong thing.

I see plenty of packing for protection is the order of the day (and I'm good at that part at least!), but I don't know who commonly pays for it (the buyer or the seller)

:D Nice way to look at it!

15. SilverNGold

Just google Australia Post Parcel Collect.
    Download the Australia Post App and apply online for a Australia Post Customer Number APCN.
    It should be quite straight forward and I could figure it out, you can too.
    In terms of who pays, it is really up to you to state what you wish. The potential buyer would either accept it or not.
    Cost is around 10 to 15 depending on weight and size i think,with additional $3 for Signature On Delivery SOD option.
    Don't worry too much about the fiat. They print more of them everyday, or so I heard.
    Show someone something they like, and they shall share some of their fiat with you! Then you just pass the fiat on. I have doing that for years.
    Fiat on!

16. PureAg

PureAg Member

I took your advice and now have a MyPost account & set the local post locker so it's good to go but one thing I did see with Parcel Locker for sending is that if you use one to send an express post satchel, it just sends this as 'normal' post and not express, is that correct?

If that's the case, that would be a deal breaker I think. If I'm selling metal, I want it in my buyer's hands safely, securely and quickly (especially if you're sending via express)

It's not a big deal for me to take a trip down to the post office and just send an express post satchel over the counter

A parcel locker looks great for getting deliveries, but I think I'll just be an 'over the counter' sort of guy sending to ensure it sends via express post right, but then use the Parcel Locker address for returns. Is that what people normally do?

I can see on the official Aust Post site that a 10 pack of Small satchels is about $126 - so about $12.60 each. People are fine to accept that? I guess they would, but maybe not for a single 1oz silver coin I'd expect.

Size and weight
    Small Express Post Satchels measure 355 x 225mm and are designed for items weighing up to 5kg.

I'm assuming that would cover a 10 1oz coin roll without an issue then? Have to add some bubble wrap, tape etc but I think that's a fair amount of space!

Or do people prefer to use Express Post Platinum for their buys? Means you need to give a signature to take delivery (and it's about $18 per parcel), but it looks like the fastest and most secure option.

17. SilverNGold

Just quickly, I never use the parcel Locker to send. So cannot comment on it.

18. PureAg

PureAg Member

Ahhh okay, that makes sense then. But when you send, you use your return address as the parcel locker one?

I have one of those now, so I'm good to go but wanted to confirm if that's the way to go.

19. markcoinoz

markcoinoz Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

PureAg, it is up to you if you want to include it in the total price or as an addition for shipping.
    I prefer to include it in the price of the item and use the shipping as a negotiation tactic to get the Sale.

20. SilverNGold

That's the way I do it. I use the parcel collect/Locker for receiving and return address only. I never send without a person checking the weight at the lpo.
    All the best!