More Insight On a Cashless Society

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by betterinvestmentthanshare, Aug 27, 2019.

1. betterinvestmentthanshare

betterinvestmentthanshare Active Member

What your take on this? Especially on physical gold holding.

kilo likes this.
  2. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

3. nonrecourse

nonrecourse Well-Known Member

I have two very good examples of what a cashless society yields.

1. Wife and I went out to dinner with three other friends tonight. The pub we went to has a policy of not allowing its patrons to split the bill. The wife likes cash and so will often encourage our friends to pay cash and she uses her credit card.The bill was $216.00 She knew what the credit card charge is because she has checked when we have had dinner there before. It was previously 0.8%. When she went to pay the bill they tried to charge her 3.7%. Not being shy she made sure everyone within cooee knew what was occurring.

The manager then tried to justify it by saying that we were given a discount with the drinks because we purchased 10 alcoholic glasses of wine during happy hour. My wife (aka my heat seeking missile) response was so you advertise happy hour but then do a bait and switch ????

I am on my usual 3 month no alcohol binge that I do every year. I went up to the bar twice and paid for a lemon lime and bitters twice and paid by taping my credit card which of course just shows the amount charged. So I was unaware of the credit card fee. We have all been seduced into spending money and not being aware of this creeping charge under the guise it is easier than carrying cash. I am also aware that the ANZ has in many branches has stopped over the counter cash transactions.

2. When in Canada last year when the self employed truck drivers went to the Canadian capital Ottawa and blocked all the enterances for three weeks protesting the government not allowing them to earn a living during COVID. There were tens of thousands of Canadians that donated cash electronically via a go fund me account. The Prime Minister of Canada was able to go to the banks and demand all those people who donated money had their bank accounts frozen so they could not access their wages or living expenses.

This is the new world order that is coming.

Ivykoin, markcoinoz, jultorsk and 7 others like this.
  4. heartastack

heartastack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I wonder how long it would take for someone to just start a bank

66rounds and mmm....shiney! like this.
  5. REDBACK

REDBACK Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Justin Pierre James Trudeau is the number 1 fascist in the World and is sending/sinking Canada into Totalitarianism, period.
    Ok in Austria atm..Cash is alive and well, many places refuse to accept cards unbelievably and thank god.
    The end game for "Western Governments is the installation of CBDC's, the war has just begun.

6. Golden Goose

Golden Goose Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

A few months back the Mrs and I were shopping in David Jones. She had a gift card she wanted to get rid of and so picked a new back pack for work. We went to the counter to pay, giving the gift card and then asking what the outstanding was....which was just under $50. So I pulled out some cash and both employees without hesitating said, No no no we don't accept cash and don't you know this is a cashless society?

I didn't even hesitate, asked for the gift card back mixed in with a few choice words about DJs and told my wife to pick something under the value of the gift card.

Haven't gone back since, not too sure about my wife though:(

yuripuka, dragafem, Real $ and 3 others like this.
  7. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

David Jones has a no cash policy now?

8. Timmy88

Timmy88 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Not sure if you are aware but but when you tap your card the machine is preprogrammed to charge fee's. If merchant has an option pending if you press, savings/credit option.

By inserting your card at the bottom, machine give you the option to press savings in turn no fees, but do the same transaction by tapping you pay fees, its in the software of the machine.

9. Timmy88

Timmy88 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I also had a similar experience at the Palais theater, ordered two beers on tap, girl poured the first one, I handed it to my mate while she poured the next, he instantly took sip.
    Second bear hits the bar, I pick it up take a sip. I pull out a $20 note to pay I am swiftly advised no cash is accepted, I asked if there is fees for card she advised yes and pointed to a little sign at the end of the bar
    outlining percentages per card. I said I don't have card only cash.

By this stage me and my pal have taken a few more sips of beer, my buddy turns around and asks if she wants the beer back.

By chance one of the girls come over from the toilet run and saves the two of up by paying with her phone.

Where is the world going.

Timmy

jultorsk, Real $, willrocks and 2 others like this.
  10. pmbug

pmbug Active Member

A cashless society is not a free society. Consider the SWIFT system on the global scale. Countries are operating in a cashless economy and economic sanctions enforced via the threat of the SWIFT system (cutoff) is the nuclear weapon of financial repression.

Shaddam IV, 66rounds and Real $ like this.
  11. 66rounds

66rounds Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

SWIFT died the day it was used to enforce sanctions. Multiple alternatives coming online now.

12. JohnnyBravo300

JohnnyBravo300 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yep the damage has been done.
    Shit for brains Brandon chooses to learn the hard way everytime. The communist mindset runs deep in DC now.

I applaude when they make themselves look like fools which is almost a daily occurrence now.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2023
    Real $ and Shaddam IV like this.
  13. sammysilver

14. sammysilver

Sri Lanka: Five-day bank holiday for domestic debt restructuring https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66049915

“Sri Lanka began a five-day bank holiday from Thursday to allow the crisis-hit nation to restructure $42bn (£33.2bn) in domestic debt.”

pmbug likes this.
  15. sammysilver

pmbug and ParanoidAndroid like this.
  16. pmbug

pmbug Active Member

* bump *

[​IMG]

https://www.9news.com.au/national/a...-society/6a214001-a4df-49fb-8e14-19848260a753

sammysilver likes this.
  17. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

^ If Amaguard (or Prosegur) folds due to declining profits it should be pretty obvious that it's the RBA's responsibility to contract and finance the delivery of cash to retailers and banks. If we're forced to rely on government issued fiat then the government should be providing that service.

JohnnyBravo300 likes this.
  18. Oddjob

Oddjob Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

What strikes me strange in all this is that Amaguard in having a near monopoly position in the Australian cash delivery service (there's a couple small players for retail but none the size of Amaguard) just didn't raise it prices to cover costs and turn a profit. It's not as if the Banks and major retailers have a choice...they'd have to suck it up and do what they do best and past that cost onto their customers.

With LinFox owning Amaguard it's not that they don't have decent mgmt running the show to make such decisions, nor have Lindsey call his mates in Govt / banking sector to tell them he's raising prices. Trying to think of the last time a monopoly went bust...:rolleyes:

I suspect LinFox is wanting to get out of this line of business and will play whatever game is required to do so.

19. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

The goal of a cashless society is not to fight fraud but to facilitate confiscation.

20. dragafem

dragafem Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Pirocco is back:D

sammysilver likes this.