Momento mori skull coin zodiac series defect ; keep or return ?

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Stroctor, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Stroctor

Stroctor New Member

I recently received a LEO skull coin from the sm mint that has a portion of the rim that is thicker (taller) in one spot between the front paw and head that prevents the airtight holder from closing all the way. The face and roundness is fine, just the rim is taller by .5 to 1 x thicker. Should I keep it thinking it may be more rare like a screwed up penny, or should I return it because it dimish's the value of the coin. The mintage is 500. If I returned it would the mint scrap it and make a new one?

2. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Depends on a couple of things....what is the serial number stamped into the medal? Some numbers are sought after by collectors who seek to own such coins. Otherwise, it will more likely than not simply be seen as a minor defect.

The mint will definitely not re-mint this product and so it would only exchange it for the same type of item that was already struck and that coin of course, would have a different serial number inscribed into it than the one you own.

I don't know for sure what the return policy is for this mint....I've never had to return any one of their items that I own.

My Leo medal looks very nice....I will try to post pics over the next few days.

3. Stroctor

Stroctor New Member

The number is in the hundreds so the specific serial number is nothing special. The only reason I noticed it was the airtight holder was not closed tight. A skilled person may even be able to shave it down and no one would be the wiser. Personally I wouldn't try it just in case I damaged it. I don't have a lot of sets and this is the first time I have seems something like this. I'm torn on keeping it or sending it back. I would hate to lose any substantial value on something like that

4. mmissinglink

If the capsule doesn't close properly, the person at the mint should have caught that. Probably all mints gets some amount of returns....I'm sure the biggest mints get tons of returns on numismatic products.

There's no reason why you shouldn't feel it would be a problem to return that medal for a different one. Just make sure you contact SM Mint and get approval before hand. You want to make sure you understand their return policy and make sure they have at least 1 remaining in stock.

5. Stroctor

Stroctor New Member

Thanks for the advice. I bought it 2nd party, but would have no problem dealing directly with the mint unless they prefer I deal with where I bough it. I'm fine either way. They probably did notice it, but with only 500 what you gonna do, someone has to get it. I was looking at it from the point is if it could be a positive attribute, or affect it adversely.

6. mmissinglink

If you bought it 2nd party then it only makes sense to inquire from that party regarding a replacement or refund. You can try the mint but I'm not sure what their policy is if they did not sell the product directly to you.

7. Stroctor

Stroctor New Member

I will most likely contact my seller and replace. It won't be a problem. With the airtight not completely closing, it somewhat takes away from the asethetics of the product.