Mexican and British gold?

Discussion in 'Gold Coins' started by SilverKendo, Feb 16, 2014.

1. SilverKendo

SilverKendo New Member

Helo all,

So part of my stacking plan is to purchase fractional gold coins along with my silver. For silver I buy ASEs, Maples, Libertads, Philharmonics and Britannias. I'd like to keep the pattern going for gold too. Now even though the premium is higher I like 1/10 oz. gold coins. I will be getting AGEs, Maples and Philharmonics because they are easy to find. I've noticed Libertads and Britannias are a bit tougher to find for me and a much higher premium compared to the other three. Are the half sovereigns and gold pesos a decent substitute for gold Libertads and Britannias? Or would it be better to pay the higher premium on the Libs and Brits and have an expectation of getting a higher premium at time of sale? I'd love to hear some thoughts on the matter.

Thanks everyone,
    Chris

2. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Think the mintages for the Mexican libertads have been fairly low. However not so sure on the secondary market prices. It would be good to have some to add to the collection.

3. projack

projack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I can do a swap of 7 1/10 libertads for 3 quality sovereigns f2f in Brisbane or if you send self addressed satchel with your coins first.

4. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Gold Sovs are not pure gold so they might be subject to tax depending on your location.

I like them as they are well know internationally and some can have collector value as well but most are just sold as bullion.

5. boston

boston Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

As a core position, buy the coinage from the country you reside in.

If the economy ever goes into a meltdown, it will be easier to sell a local currency than one from outside your borders.

6. SilverKendo

SilverKendo New Member

Sorry for the slow reply but thanks for the posts everyone. I will try to get whichever (Libertads, gold pesos, Sovs or Britannias) I can find the cheapest. I agree that local currency is best but I am only a 6 hour drive to CA and from my new property in New Mexico I am 4 hour drive to MX so I figure it can't hurt to have them. As for European gold and silver I figure they round out the stack.

I am staying away from AU PMs at the moment because it seems like the least likely place I'd end up. I also feel like gold coins from down under have a very strong numi value attached to them (like Chinese gold). The deisgns change every year and it makes them more collectibles than it does bullion in my mind. I would buy AU gold and silver for a numi collection. I love the $15 gold AU/US War in the Pacific coin for example. It is taking everything I've got not to get one. One of the reasons for my bullion is to sell if I need to and I wouldn't want to sell that coin if I had it lol. Of course i do have a birthday coming up... I can always ask the wife for a coin for a present... hhhmmmm... :)