Menē 24k investment jewellery

Discussion in 'Gold' started by Radio8tiv, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Radio8tiv

Radio8tiv Active Member

Hi all just wanted to share my experience with buying some 24k gold investment jewellery from Menē in the USA. They make pure gold jewellery at a very reasonable price only charging a small percentage to make the items, and showing exactly how much gold is contained in your purchase and how much it is worth.

I discovered Menē from the guys over on steemit and used a referral link to get started, this got me a $5 coupon, and also after I made a purchase I received a $50 coupon for my next purchase. If you just create an account you get nothing extra, so the referral made sense. My link if you are interested in buying some items from there is Mene.com/invite/w5XMTi

Now for some pics of what I got, we bought new wedding rings as when I did get married 25 years ago I was pretty young and didn't earn a lot so our original bands were quite light, so with the new ones I'm able to wear my gold "hidden in plain sight",

Here is the logo and purity inside the ring, also notice how thick they are.

My ring is quite heavy but didn't notice after even a day of wearing it, I also get comments from fellow workers about how "gold" it looks, and compared to 9k-18k rings it is certainly more yellow.

The weight of both the rings combined

Menē has a nice selection of jewellery and some other items like gold dice (theses are sold out at the moment) and are updating their collection all the time. My purchase came with COA, ring boxes, and some carry bags, the only thing to be careful of is the fact that even though it is pure gold the government still charged me import duty and gst, I learned later, that the tax exemption is only on bullion, not jewellery. So try to split your purchases and keep them under $1000 Aud.

Justin Thompson, GF and Anniesilver like this.
  2. stackmans

stackmans Active Member

How is the duribility of wearing 24K gold daily? I would be concened about scratches and the shape deforming. I have been waring a titanium ring for about a month now and its already showing signs of damage.

GF likes this.
  3. Radio8tiv

Radio8tiv Active Member

This was a concern of mine also, however after having the ring for about a week now I'm very happy with my purchase.
    This thing is solid, being 6mm wide and 2.2mm thick which is why it weighs over 1/2 ounce for a small item like a ring. As for scratches, I'm not too concerned, my old 18k ring had plenty, and hopefully in time this will too. When new this ring doesn't have a brilliant high polished finish, which I preferred.

GF likes this.
  4. Bullion Baron

Bullion Baron Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I've had mine for around 6 months. I bought the matte finish, but it didn't stay that way. 6 months of daily wearing has resulted in a lot of small scratches, scuffs, dings, etc (and now appears to be shiny compared with matte finish when first purchased), but I don't think it necessarily detracts that much (and was kind of expecting it). Haven't noticed any change to the shape from wearing it (it might if you had a more laborious job e.g. wore it daily while lifting things, etc). Overall I am pleased with the purchase.

5. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I’ve made and been wearing 16gram 24k ring for a few years.
    It does get scratched, but I made two thin pure silver guard rings that are 1mm taller than the height of the gold ring to to give it a little protection.

Even though the 3 rings are not soldered together when worn it looks like it is.

Also bought a tumbler and give it a tumble every few months.

6. TreasureHunter

TreasureHunter Well-Known Member

That's what I thought of when I saw this post.

It could bend and get terribly worn. You prolly have to keep it in a box.

Even if you drop a 1 oz silver coin, it gets deformed in an ugly way. Should you drop a gold ring or just slam your chain against the table: the marks will be there forever!

Soft gold can also get chipped, under very rough conditions. I'm also worried about chains breaking.

Not sure this is a good idea for investment.

Ipv6Ready likes this.
  7. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I doubt a pure gold ring would get chipped as it’s too soft. But it’s hard enough to last a life time if the ring is 10g or larger.

8. aelmsu

aelmsu Member

These look great!

9. jultorsk

jultorsk Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Nice looking rings, Menē has certainly succeeded in creating a place for themselves in this niche market.

Regarding the "split your purchases and keep them under $1000", would that still work though? I mean, with the new legislation that also <$1000 orders would be subject to GST. Are all incoming <$1000 parcels really investigated at customs or is it a case of bad luck if one gets slugged with the GST (+ customs clearance fees??) if one were to purchase from Menē?

Asking for a friend, of course. :D

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  10. Radio8tiv

Radio8tiv Active Member

My order got charged the import duties, that's why I mentioned it. I did try to say to them that because it was pure 24k it should be exempt from duty, but I received a reply stating that jewellery is not exempt only "recognised" bullion is exempt from duty. I found this when looking to dispute the charge https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/Factsheets/Documents/importingpreciousmetalcoinsandbullions.pdf

jultorsk likes this.
  11. leo25

leo25 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I ordered some stuff from Mene and just got an email saying i have to pay a bunch of import fees. I was expecting to pay GST, but was shocked to know i had to pay another $150 for other fees.

I've never come across this before, is this a new normal?

-CUSTOMS DUTY $66.83
    -IMPORT DEC N10 AIR CHARGE (GOODS VALUE<$10,000) $50.00
    -AQIS − ENTRY CHARGES AIR $38.00

12. JohnnyBravo300

JohnnyBravo300 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I've looked at Mene and it's the nicest investment grade jewelry I've seen. I may buy some in the future for special occasions.
    I do laborious work and I've tried to wear a ring on and off over the years but they end up getting bent on my fingers or broken and that can be painful.
    I also saw a guy have his finger degloved jumping out the back of a truck when I was in the Army and that had kind of stuck with me over the years.
    Rings are a little sketchy but Mene makes some really nice bands.