Meiji Era Coin opinions respectfully requested.

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by SilverSerf, Oct 25, 2013.

1. SilverSerf

SilverSerf Member

Hi All,

I have a coin that's been rattling around in my desk I always assumed was a copy (I have a number of copies that were passed down from my father - he never claimed they were anything other than copies of rare coins - Trade dollars, Early Morgans etc. and for the most part they do not match weight / diameter / typesets etc)

This coin has me a little puzzled however as it seems to match weights, size etc. and I would value your opinion(s) as to whether it is an obvious fake or bears further examination.

Weight is 26.95g (official weight is 26.96g but the margin of error of my scales is 0.01g)

Diameter is 38.6mm as best as I can determine.

Coin is not magnetic and is a fairly standard silver colour for its (supposed) age.

Photo 3 is the best indication of the colour - taken without flash. (Photos 1&2 show the detail but the colour is all wrong because of flash)

Many thanks for any comments,

Serf.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. neonuke

neonuke Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

how does it sound? balance it on your fingertip and strike it (gently) with another coin. it should make a nice resonant ping

3. Kam

Kam Active Member Silver Stacker

Not an expert but looks good to me, btw it's a year 27 which is one of the most common years so it's very unlikely people would bother making fakes of the highest mintage year

4. SilverSerf

SilverSerf Member

Long, sweet and distinguished. :)

Many thanks guys - guess I better take it out of the drawer and throw it in a capsule.

5. serial

serial Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    here is a genuine one for comparison(I love showing of my collection :) ). if you look at the number of scales they seem to match. I would say real as well. very cool large coin btw, enjoy it
    and have you got any more to show?

6. SilverSerf

SilverSerf Member

Thanks, I will. I guess it's not worth much more than its intrinsic silver value after sitting in my desk for the last 30 years but my kids will love to know it's real.

I'll have a dig around on the weekend and see what else is lurking under old receipts and 10 year old stamps :)

Cheers.

Serf.

7. Acme

Acme New Member

Nice one. Show more of your collection :)

8. SilverSerf

SilverSerf Member

Hi all,

I found a couple more interesting pieces in the drawer that I have no idea about.

The first is (maybe) a coin. It has a diameter of 40mm and is 2.5mm thick - the edge is milled although quite worn. It is a uniform silver colour as shown apart from the dark stains you can see if the pics. Non-magnetic and weighs 37.64g.

The second item I have no idea if it's an old coin, a small bar or something totally unrelated to PM's. It was in with the other coin.

It is a small bar 42mm x 12mm x 7mm. Non-magnetic, uniform colour and weighs 38.64g. It has different characters on each side and a small square indentation in the bottom as well as a small circular and a small square indentation in the top.

Any ideas or identifications very much appreciated.

My apologies if they are just small pieces of junk.

Cheers,

Serf.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]