Max amount of silvers to bring through international airport

Discussion in 'Silver' started by SeeD, Jan 15, 2012.

1. SeeD

SeeD New Member

Thinking of bringing 2 to 4 rolls of Perth Mint silvers through the airport. (Definitely not worth 10k AUD)

If I put them in my hand luggage will they stop me?

2. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

No ,but they might want to look at the coins

3. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

This is because a roll of coins shows up a bit "odd" on the x-ray, and they're not sure what it actually is.

4. SeeD

SeeD New Member

What is the best way to go about it then? Break them into loose coins?

5. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

Nah. Just leave them as is. You have nothing to hide. You're not doing anything illegal. Nothing to be worried about.

6. dross

dross Active Member

just have a pair of cotton gloves in the same bag & if they insist on examining them ask them to wear gloves. No one wants coins that someone who's just shoved a kebab into their face & has dirty paws has been slobbering all over.

7. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

Have the receipt handy to show them that there are only silver coins.

Regards Errol 43

8. Giodor8

Giodor8 Active Member

They will want to xray them on their own as they wont be able to see what they are properly in your hand luggage. No big deal. You also have the option of going to a private room so they can examine your bag without the whole plane knowing you are carrying something of great value. Its up to you.

9. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

Personally, I would not recommend this. Your coins are protected by cases anyway. When it comes to authorities like police, tax man, and customs, its best not to risk aggravating them. Also, the 10K limit is irrelevant here - that only applies for currency.

You have not made clear what country's you are talking about. In/Out of Australia & NZ are fine, but some countries are not so easy, and some (eg. Nepal, Thailand, etc) its illegal. In USA you must fill out paper forms (at least when taking it out), otherwise your gold will be taken.

10. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

Ive flown into a number of asian countries 6 months ago & none of them even blinked at the 20 odd 1 ounce coins i had in my hand luggage

11. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

I'm thinking gold. Not silver. :)

12. renovator

They didnt even look to see what they were . It could have been gold for all they knew or cared

13. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

Each to their own. If you are happy to move gold & silver around internationally, without being aware of the exact laws specific to each country, then so be it. Lots of people have had precious metals confiscated in their international travels, by customs, because they did not adhere to the exact laws of each country.

Before I moved my first pile of gold overseas, I did thorough research and spoken (on the phone) to customs officials (2 different people in each country, with separate phone calls) before travelling.

Some people don't do this, and just might ask a few mates or a forum. If they're happy doing it this way, good luck. Mine is just a different way.

14. SeeD

SeeD New Member

Hmmm, I am moving them out of Australia. Mostly silvers, no gold to bring about.

Is putting some in my check in luggage a good idea? o_O

@Black_Sun, are you the guy who moved a whole lot of gold through custom and got away with it? How did you contact the relevant person to talk about bringing these coins overseas? Like how do you get their number and etc.

15. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

Keep it in your hand luggage. I moved a fair bit of gold on two occasions (and will be moving silver soon). I did not "get away" with anything. I just made sure that I understood exactly what the law was, and that I obeyed it - to the letter. Which probably (in most countries) means declaring it, as the value is greater than the standard amount allowed for "personal possessions", approx <$1000.

So in your case, all that remains for you to do is to:
    1) Research the laws in the country you're taking it into, as best you can; eg. look up their customs website, possibly "general googling".
    2) Find out the telephone number for the customs department (in the foreign country), and ring them up and ask. Wait a day, and ring again, and if you get the same person, hang up. You need to "really" speak to another second person, different from the first, and ask the same question. If their stories match up, you're OK. If they do not match, you'll need to make a 3rd phone call to clarify and you should tell this third person why you're confused and seek clarification.

Do this, and you'll be fine. You'll know exactly what to do, which is important, because on my 2nd gold move I got a junior customs agent who seemed to think I needed to pay $$. I knew I didn't, and gently said so, and so the senior guy came over, and told her that there's no cash to pay.

Take your receipt - just to be safe. I've never had to show them, and objected to the very idea, when speaking to the junior agent. Also, if possible, print out the section from the government customs website which details precious metals duties, etc, if you can. This is not really necessary though, but its useful if you know what's written there. Links to both Australian & NZ govt customs websites, exact places which deal with precious metals are on this forum. But many countries would not be this advanced.

16. renovator

I agree if your moving a fair amount then do your research or it could be diastrous i was just relating my experience. The only thing they did look at was in singapore & it was my power adapters i bought a pair of them & they were still in the box & in my laptop bag . They stopped me a made me pull them out of the box & when they seen what they were they looked at each other & laughed & let me through .

17. glam

glam Member

So when importing into Australia, there are two boxes on the customs declaration.

3. Goods obtained overseas or purchased duty and/or tax free in Australia with a combined total price of more than AUD$400, including gifts?

and

5. AUD$10,000 or more in Australian or foreign currency equivalent?

I'd be looking to bring in less than $10,000 in gold bars and maybe some silver too.

So in this case, I'd be best to declare on question 3, more than $400 in goods, and bring the receipts with me. Would I be able to bring more than $10,000 worth.
    Has anyone here done this and declared on entry.

Sorry for stealing your thread SeeD...........

18. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

The $10,000 refers to currency - not the intrinsic value. You could take 99oz of 1oz Perth Mint gold coins with a face value of $100 each, and you're carrying $9900, not $160,000.

The $400 in goods is interesting though - GST is not applicable, so you could get away without declaring them... but it might be interesting scenes at Customs if challenged on it. That's when the legal tender aspects come into play.

19. mfm

mfm New Member

I guess you were lucky if you went to the Asian country with these export regulations:

"Prohibited: Gold and silver bullion or coins; undeveloped films; firearms, explosives and articles for military use."

"Non-adherence to the granted quantities for gold and silver will lead to confiscation and punishment of the passenger according to the relevant laws. "

Does the rules really say that "if you think GST doesn't apply then you don't have to declare it even if the value is above the allowed limit"?

20. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

Came back from the US a couple of months ago. Customs declaration asks if you are bringing ANY goods in with you sourced from overseas worth more than $1,000.

This is obviously the limit the GST kicks in at, so I had to declare my bullion as it was worth more than $1k. Then you just go to the customs people, they checked a couple of the coins (just as a sample) in their capsules, saw it was 999 fine and said I owe $X amount in GST.

I politely told them no GST is applicable, so they check on their computer, found I was right and I headed off.

They are only interested in your goods so they can tax you the GST, thats pretty much all they care about.