Maple gram or Valcambi bar

Discussion in 'Gold' started by 1ozTrOy, Jun 30, 2015.

1. 1ozTrOy

1ozTrOy New Member

Im looking to buy some 1g bars but can't decide between maplegram or combibar. Locally the maplegram is higher by at least $3/g. It seems like an easy choice but combibar seems very easy to fake down the road and that is why i am reluctant to buy them.
    Anyways some input would be appreciated.

2. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Think you answered your question. If you're paying a premium might as well buy something that will give you peace of mind.

3. bull_bear

bull_bear New Member Silver Stacker

If your worried about $3 premium difference your better off buying a 1/10oz or 1/4oz at much lower premium.

4. 1ozTrOy

1ozTrOy New Member

I thought I did yet here i am asking.

I mainly try to buy a full oz but this time i kind of wanted some 1g for bartering purposes if one day we ever need it.
    However on a 50g Valcambi we're talking $150 difference. If i don't like the premium difference i may as well stick with the full oz. but Thats why im here I wanted to get some opinion.

5. Porcello

Porcello New Member

In which scenario do you see the possibility to barter with PMs? And for what goods? I really doubt it will ever happen.

6. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Maplegram if you're buying just a few but Combibar if it's to be a regular thing. Why do you think they'll be faked?

7. 1ozTrOy

1ozTrOy New Member

Id like to buy a sheet of 50 1g valcambi or 2 25 sheets of maplegrams.

Imo, the valcambi bars will be easier to fake compare to the well detailed maplegrams.

Porcello, i just like the idea of being able to break 1g from the sheet whether its for bartering or selling 1g or two for fiat. Which leads me back to my dilemma, why pay a premium if i wont get it back but why buy combibar when it has a higher potential of being faked down the road. And if there are fakes out there later, it may make it difficult to sell the combibar if i need to.

8. Porcello

Porcello New Member

I really don't see bartering as a true possibility. very few people can recognize real gold or silver today and in a SHTF scenario I doubt that anyone without previous exposure to PM like us would give you anything for a gram of gold. I get the point of liquidity, of course, to be exchanged for fiat if needed - but for my taste 1g are way too small and the premium is too high. That said, if I really had to choose I would go for the maples even if the premium is slightly higher... they are prettier and the Valcambi bar gives me the impression that some gold might fall off when you break the bar.

PS: I agree with House, I don't see the possibility to fake those things effectively.... they are both too small and thin, the margin to make a good profit is just not there if counterfeiters want to do an acceptable job.

Final Edit: now that I think about it it's really hard to fake a combibar. When you break it the inner metal is exposed at the joints.

9. 1ozTrOy

1ozTrOy New Member

"now that I think about it it's really hard to fake a combibar. When you break it the inner metal is exposed at the joints."

Exactly what i was thinking earlier to. It can be faked as a sheet but once you break it off you can easily tell what it isnt if you know what it is supposed to look like. Ie, gold. Lol.

The more i research combibar the more i really lose interest on it. Maybe i will just stick to 1oz and 1/10th and maybe i will grab a sheet of maple gram for curiosity.
    Thanks for the input. I dont plan to stack PM forever anyways. Im nearing my goal and once its done, off to other ventures.

10. Roswell Crash Survivor

Roswell Crash Survivor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Choosing only between those two, I'd pick the Maple Gram.

This is a 1g segment I snapped off a 20g Vacambi Combibar using the snap-off grooves. Look at the weight (well, technically, mass).

[​IMG]

11. bubblebobble2

bubblebobble2 Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Hmm... Maybe I should start buying snapped-off valcambi....:)

12. mr-dead

mr-dead Member

For every one thats over weight there is another thats under weight though :)

13. Porcello

Porcello New Member

Around 15c (USD) more. Can live with that.

14. 1ozTrOy

1ozTrOy New Member

Apparently the 1/10 maple and the maple gram has exact same premium per sheet of 25 locally. So if u guys can get either 8 (1/10) or 25 (1g) which one would you choose?

15. 1ozTrOy

1ozTrOy New Member

Just ended up buying 1/4 and 1/10 gold maples. Just dont like the idea of coins inside a square sheets. Same reasons why i dont buy bars. Thanks for all the input.