Magnetic gold plated sterling necklaces and bracelet

Discussion in 'Jewellery & Gems' started by sterling-nz, Sep 28, 2015.

1. sterling-nz

sterling-nz Well-Known Member

Would love to know just how many people out here have gold plated necklaces and bracelets that are attracted to a magnet.
    I have found many lately and after destruction tests have confirmed THEY ARE IN FACT SILVER.
    Is there something in the modern plating process that make these things magnetic?
    This could be a gold mine waiting to be exploited as once upon a time "if it stuck to a magnet "i threw it in the bin.
    I even got a .375 recently that stuck had magnet attraction and after testing am satisfied it is gold with may be Nickel alloyed.
    But anyhow would love to know the reason .
    Thanks in advance:)

2. tozak

tozak Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yes, high Nickel content does it, I have seen it a few times

3. sterling-nz

Thanks for the reply.
    I hate to think how many i have thrown away thinking they were garbage.
    Now i know i will not be so quick to show them the bin.
    Had i not got so many in such a small time frame i still would have been none the wiser, but as i had 15 from different sources i never get that many fakes anymore and knew something was up.
    Destroyed a couple in the process of testing them and they were silver , but it was worth it.

4. ShinyStuff

ShinyStuff New Member

so funny you wrote this! i was just stringing a bracelet and necklace for dw with 925 clasps and they are magnetic. first thing i thought of was the nickel content but it annoys me as it made me think "cheap knock off from china."

shiny

5. Antalon

Antalon Active Member Silver Stacker

Usually the springs inside the clasps that are metal and make it stick to a magnet. I find allot of springs when refining chains/watch bands.

6. sterling-nz

Thanks Antalon.
    It is not the clasps i have found to be magnetic but the entire chains that have been plated.
    Now as i mentioned earlier , as soon as anything i was looking to buy or had bought was attracted to a magnet it got binned.
    After finding so many of these "gold plated" sterling chains that were attracted to a magnet i destroyed a couple to see what the guts was AND THEY WERE SILVER.
    So something in the plated process (new processes) is making my bloody silver magnetic and as mentioned above it just makes me think of "Chinese knock offs" but they are NOT.
    As i resell a lot of this stuff i wanted to get more knowledge of this phenomenon so i can have an explanation ready if anyone calls my stuff into question after it has been sold.
    My main PM guy is no issue as it will get melted , but Joe Public might one day use a magnet on an item and think i have screwed them.
    After all why melt a 5 gram silver chain for $3.50 when i can on sell it on a pendant or alone for $10- $15 and change?
    I am 100% certain they are silver , but the magnetism is a real annoyance:)