Mad scramble to join gold rush

Discussion in 'Gold' started by perthsilver, Aug 26, 2011.

1. perthsilver

perthsilver Member Silver Stacker

What Phase is this?

Read more: http://www.watoday.com.au/business/...n-gold-rush-20110826-1jdt5.html#ixzz1W7Z3ccKX

2. Boyo

Boyo Active Member Silver Stacker

Co- incedentally I happen to be born and raised in Ballarat.Gold history was never too far from our noses.
    When I think of my father's words about the Ballarat "Gold Rush" I hear him say the people who did the best out of it were the merchants and entrepeneurs selling gold mining tools and tech to the would bes

I would say ,from Mr Kents viewpoint this is definitely the advanced awareness stage

3. Nukz

Nukz New Member

Wait there hoping to get rich from panning? Are they expecting to pan a few comex good delivery bars or something.

4. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member Silver Stacker

Boyou,

It seems to be accepted that apart from a few very lucky ones, it was the providers of goods and services to the diggers that made the money.

My Great grandfather was a digger in Ballarat at the time of the Eureka Stockade. No real indication if he was involved though.

OC

5. an9ie

an9ie New Member

A family friend of ours has a staked out area where he goes prospecting, and he either sells the nuggets or makes them into jewellery. He earns a full-time (average-ish, nothing flash) wage from it, but it's also a full-time job for him, five days a week, most weekends, and he's always updating his equipment (metal detectors etc.) too which also costs money.

He's done this for years, but it's a real labour of love.

Edited: oops, typo