Lunar Monkey 1/2 oz at ABC in Sydney

Discussion in 'Silver' started by samboyellowsub, Jun 5, 2012.

1. samboyellowsub

samboyellowsub Member

Maybe good to have a sacrificial coin for them to handle. Two reasons; so they are satisfied kinesthetically in handling a coin and so they can see what handling a coin does at the same time.

2. Lunarowl

Lunarowl Active Member Silver Stacker

Lol! Reminds me of me wifey. Everytime i showed her new coins, she always tried to open the capsules (and being half numismatist, you can guess my response).
    Lucky i have some ASEs & maples :)

3. malachii

malachii Well-Known Member

My father in law collects matchbox/dinky cars. You should see his reaction when one of the grandkids wants to open the box and play with the cars :)

malachii

4. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

LOL... dude.. maples dont have premiums, the example above was a series 1 lunar monkey almost 100% over spot.. i think its fair enough if you are paying huge premiums that the premium is considered a numismatic premium and as such, it is reasonable to assume that condition makes up a componant of this additonal cost over spot.

Maples is just a really bad example.. yes maples should just trade as bullion.. IMO a scratched beat up or milked up maple is basically the same as an unc one.. also ASE's... but for Lunars and Perth Mint stuff in general people want them UNC.. part of that is they come incapsulated so there is an expectation they will be uncirculated and untouched.

Sure people are picky.. but when you are paying $26 for a half ounce is that should be a given. My beef is with people paying spot and then throwing the quality in your face.. thats when you just harden up and cut the deal with no BS about condition.

RE: ABC Staff... actually some staff were really good.. just the older ladies i found were not welcoming and tended to show signs of not wanting my custom, In hindisght i think they knew i was getting a steal - 1kg bars at under $500! 10oz bars at $160 :)

1for1

5. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Oh yeah ... speaking of PICKY/PRECIOUS about bullion...

My ABC bars (some that recently got voted ugliest bars) are going to be hard to sell as it seems beauty matters with silver.. and many of mine were produced in such bad quality from what i can gather.. they will be hard to sell.. heaps of pitts etc..

Didnt think it mattered at the time but i have come to realise how much looks matter to silver investors.. as pathetic as it is it is true. (so yes Silver investors are too precious on looks)..

1for1

6. Silverthorn

Silverthorn Well-Known Member

They'll probably end up in a melting pot with a bunch of coins one day.

7. Tears of the Moon

Tears of the Moon New Member

Hi all,

Greg from ABC Bullion, Sydney here.

I would just like to comment on a few issues raised here.

I agree with the comments here about handling coins, if they are in a capsule they should not be removed from the capsule by our staff or clients. As a coin collector myself the few times I have seen it I have cringed.

I suspect most of the issues in this regard were in the old showroom where we regularly opened the display cases. We totally renovated the showroom and offices over the Christmas break and now have our whole range of products on display and we no longer open the cases for product handling.

Although that being said if you are buying standard bullion coins you are investing in the metal, not for collectors value. ABC Bullion will buy back bullion coins for their metal value, regardless of their condition, although if you were to sell to another stacker or on ebay then condition obviously would be factor.

As to the ugliest bar competition, yes I would have to agree some of the very old, second hand ABC Silver bars looked like they had been shot, but they were all 1kg of 9998 silver, and they were only sold to clients that accepted them in that condition. As with coins, ABC Bullion will buy recognised brands 1kg silver bars for their metal value regardless of their condition. Our new 1kg silver bars look terrific, they can been seen our our website here: http://www.abcbullion.com.au/app/webroot/img/site/product/products/ABC1kgSilver_1.jpg

Lastly if you haven't visited our showroom since the start of the year I encourage you to, you will be surprised in the changes we have made (we have banished the queue). Also we have changed and added many new staff over the last several months, so come in and meet the new team.

8. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Actually yes because the quality of minting is higher with the Kooks, but you also have to compare your coin with all the other coins of that type out there.

If your coin, say, a Kookaburra, is handled/fondled/scratched and almost every other Kook is in absolutely pristine mint condition in it's little capsule, your Kook is particularly undesirable because mint Kooks are easy to get hold of. If your ASE/maple is handled/fondled/scratched it's in a similar condition to most of the other ASEs and maples out there so its just as desirable and valuable as all the others.

I'm not necessarily saying you shouldn't handle your Kooks or Lunars or proofs because they're your property and you can do what you like with them, just that you shouldn't necessarily expect to sell them later for a premium and shouldn't expect much interest from anyone other than scrap metal buyers.

9. Lunarowl

Lunarowl Active Member Silver Stacker

Hi Greg :)