Lunar Dog Panda #4 originating w/ Lucky coming soon...

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by barsenault, Jun 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

As you may know, the originator of the series, Lucky introduced this series back in 2015 with the Lunar Panda Goat. Since then the series has grown in popularity all over the world; even to the point where there are now two offerings of the series. For those of us interested in this series, we will be pleasantly surprised to see the Lunar Panda Dogs take shape in the coming weeks and months.

Coins A-Z likes this.
  2. sgcoins

sgcoins Member

I hope he will release this coin around Christmas time again, so we would not have to many coins at the same time!!
    People will lose intrest in non fiat coins, if there are to many coins coming out at the same time. You can already see that the Nanjing panda's are not selling as fast, as the 2016 did!!

Coins A-Z likes this.
  3. barsenault

Update:
    I've seen the renderings of the original Lunar Panda Dog from Lucky, and it's looking great!

SG, I believe they will be ready in Nov/Dec time-frame.

And as always, they will be very inexpensive - it's the Lucky way. He puts them out there very inexpensively, so that if and when you go to sell, you can make money too. When I get the okay to send the rendering, I'll post them here.

Disclaimer: I'm not a sponsor, I'm not making an investment of any kind to create this series (beyond what I collect and resell). I'm not getting any special deal. I'm not getting anything for free. I'm simply helping Lucky - as are others - to get his products more recognized; and also offering suggestions around design. We are trying to broaden the horizon where the beautiful Chinese medals are collected. And yes, I do collect these; and may even sell a few.

Coins A-Z likes this.
  4. Coins A-Z

Coins A-Z Active Member

Summer time is notorious for coin sales to be slow and metal spot prices to be lower (in general). And let's not forget that Ag and Au seem to be on a sideways trajectory for the foreseeable future....that alone doesn't help sentiment toward new silver coins on the market.

Also, the fact that the marketplace is inundated (over saturated) with all sorts of coins and medals makes it that much more difficult for many coins and medals to sell well at this time. Folks, these are the doldrums.

5. barsenault

Well, I'm sad to say that I can't in good conscience support Lucky's Lunar Panda Dog.

I'll certainly post images of the issue here. However, he decided to go a different direction with the dogs, and I wasn't a big fan of it. I don't want to be disingenuous to rant and rave about something I don't like. I think the panda side is a great design, but the dog was not what I had in mind. I got a little ahead of myself, thinking a certain dog was going to be selected, and it wasn't. It couldn't be changed. I'm sure the 'dogs' here will ravenously attack this post, but I really don't care. I have no dog in this race - pun intended.

I'm not beholden to anyone. I'm not in partnership with anyone. Im not sponsoring any series. Im simply trying to help someone who has limited knowledge of the western markets. But for me to support something, I have to love it and in many cases, I'm a collector of it (if price isn't too high or I'm limited in funds).

Anyway, I will still post the images of Luckys dog here and on Facebook. Afterall, you may love it!! But I'm not a buyer, nor do I like the design. No, we didn't have a fallout. We still talk. We're still friends. I'll still support him. I just don't like this piece. All the best to the other piece Andy is producing. For this series to survive, he's going to need to knock it out of the park. Best of success.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
    Coins A-Z and Clubbernut like this.
  6. barsenault

Well, I saw the Lunar Panda Dog images of Andy and team's (Perfulator) and I have to say, kudos to them. They knocked it out of the park. I'm not a big fan of type of dog they selected (I think they're ugly), BUT, they made both the pandas and dogs look fantastic! I will say, that both lucky and Andy chose similar themes for their pandas...you'll have to see what I mean when Lucky introduces his.

And I love how Andy and team has a write up around their issue: why their dog was selected, what the origins are, etc...they definitely set the bar high, and if Lucky plans to continue his lunar series, he needs to raise the bar. Just say'n. All the best.

7. sgcoins

sgcoins Member

I think the panda design from Andy, is the best so far on a lunar/panda coin!! But if it comes to the lunar design, in my opinion the goat and rooster from lucky look more Chinese then the natural design from Andy. I wil buy a silver proof from Lucky and Andy anyway, but if it's comes to design I like the lunar designs from lucky the best!!

8. Bobbie

Bobbie New Member

9. Bobbie

Bobbie New Member

It appears you like the cartoon style more than the realistic drawings. If that's the case, let's make sure that Andy makes enough profit to continue this series , so come the year 2027 he flips the style. Then we can compare when version 2 begins.

Coins A-Z likes this.
  10. perfulator

perfulator Member

i don't know what kind of pleasures you get by insisting I'm in some team. We were in the same chatroom for the Lunar Panda Rooster design, if that what you refer to, but making a few jokes or making a comment on this or that, doesn't make it a team. You know very well this was Andy's work 99%. Not me, not you, not anyone else. Doesn't the medals you push have enough momentum by itself? Time to stop this childish behavior? I'm not in anyones team and you know it.

11. barsenault

Shut your pie hole. That was meant as a compliment. Sure it is a Andy's idea. But he ran images by you, you shared pictures, you offered feedback, you would have told him if something was out of line, etc...Would you like me to post the history of the interaction? The pictures you sent as ideas, what about this panda, or that panda, or this dog or that dog? The comments made. Give me a flying, flipping break you clown. You were a team, you helped each other out, but ultimately, Andy made the decision on what dog and panda would be used. Give it a rest you lying sack of meat balls - you were a team, otherwise, Andy would not have invited you and the other fella in a wechat discussion around this concept and idea. So, as I said, shut it.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  12. perfulator

perfulator Member

ok, let's see. Dirtbag, idiot, liar. Not bad to put all this into one post, but you've done this before. Nothing new from you. Sometimes your true face shine through.

13. barsenault

Nothing new, blah, blah. So do you care to admit that you were in wechat group with Andy, offering suggestions, input and ideas around this concept and the lunar panda rooster concept? Does that not constitute a team of people coming together to formulate ideas on what will the best way to present these pieces to the market place? Hide behind the, oh, you said nasty things on the other site, blah, blah. What I said over at the other site is truth, and more than one person has emailed me saying the same thing, and one influential person has stopped even going over there, period end of story. And I actually have archived emails from Andy/Trouble saying the same thing, but I have not posted them, because I want to save him the embarrassment. So spare me of your self-righteousness, and pontification. You felt the same things I expressed many times, but you hid and cowered behind your computer, and didn't say anything. Give it a rest Perfulator.

14. Coins A-Z

Coins A-Z Active Member

"It appears you like the cartoon style more than the realistic drawings"

I am a fan of the realistic interpretations but if a cartoon style is done exceptionally well (lots and lots of detail) it might appeal to my tastes. I'm not much of a fan of any non realistic styles but if a non realistic style is exceptional well done it can be very appealing to my tastes. Such a style that comes to mind can be seen on the high relief Xi-Shi medal that someone else posted pics of in another thread here. It has a sort of Art Nouveau styling to it that works very well in my view.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.