Lunar: collecting all coins of a particular year is a good investment?

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Cheepo, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Cheepo

Cheepo New Member

I cam across this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH22UR5nTVY

I think it's pretty cool. I am thinking of buying all the coins of some years (starting with the goat and the monkey, which are now cheaper) and put them in a box (the box is US$60). Do you think this would have additional value, in say, 10 years from now? Would it be a good investment, since now these coins are cheap, and I would have all the coins minted during this particular year, in a flashy box? Or is it better to focus on the 10 oz or 1 kg (or 1 oz) coins?

2. fishtaco

fishtaco Active Member Silver Stacker

Who will buy them from you at a price you want to sell them for is the answer.

Perth Mint has made its profit retailers have made their profit coin flippers have made their profit putting post lunar silver coins into a high premium market So the mint introduces more verity of the same coins due to there popularity and make more profits the retailer sells them to make more profits and then everyone with post date coins becomes a collector a flipper or a speculator.

You should buy a set from your starting year as you suggested to collect and enjoy, they will always be worth silver price. if they continue to appreciate in value then great if they slow down in the secondary premium hype market then you have only paid a smaller % of there cost for your enjoyment. so no loss. :)

Even in the youtube video the collector is already talking down his cost price average on future Luna coin releases which means unless he has a crystal ball he possibly already knows he paid way too much for what he has already bought.

Enjoyment -Chance or trap. :)

3. fltacoma

fltacoma Member

From what I have seen, for "investment purposes", people choose the 1/2 oz and 2 oz coins to hold for a year or two and maximize their return. As far as cheap, the 2 oz, and 5 oz mouses aren't very wallet friendly! Lol

4. Cheepo

Cheepo New Member

OK, thanks. I am out to shop. Maybe I should just stick to the 1 kg coins. The cheapest bullion you can find, with a fun design. Nice to look at, and keeping a better value than the shoes I bought last year.

5. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Think about your buying decision... Will you pay super high premium for those collection in any sizes? If you not willing means others will have same view.

I did have s2 Perth mints kg lunar from mouse till monkey and buy at low price around aus850 per pieces. How much can this sell and fetch if I sell at eBay breakeven is 970 excluding shipping. If I sell at precious metal shop on Singapore they buy at spot plus 30. I only able to sell it to collector. As collector what the price you willing to pay from mouse till monkey ? Think about it which this might be helpful in your decision making if you consider buying precious metal as pure investment and not for collection and hobby.

Another point is not all collector willing to buy whole set due to the value and quantity. So what is the liquidity lol if you think more there are more questions wait for you.

6. Cheepo

Cheepo New Member

Well, I am trying to find out what other people think. I think most people would want to buy a (say) 5-year old coin to complete their collection. Would anybody be willing to buy a whole set? Probably very few people would be interested, but then there are very few people offering such a collection?

My take from your answers is that this is not a very good idea...

7. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yes not many buyers and sellers for the whole set. This means hard to meet each other's for this case. In general, more buyers keen on individual pieces in particular lunar. Hard for us to guess. Those people bought the dragon at issue year is lossing money now.

For collection I buy kg and I treat this as precious metal which base on spot only. I bet increase in spot to gain value and sell few key date to profit. If I have not spare money for long term I will not choose kg. That my take. I am not sure yours because everyone are different

8. GRETZKY427

GRETZKY427 Active Member Silver Stacker

This also goes same with the 1oz kookaburras (1990-present) and the 1oz koalas (2007-present)

Most people I find are after certain years but very little interest had I seen on this forum when whole sets are up for sale...

Cheers, HAPPY STACKING :)

9. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The guy in the video is a collector, I doubt he would sell until he runs out of room. :)

There will always be collectors and fwiw, the new stackers of the 1980's became the new future collectors to present.

Nothing will be different imo.

Cheepo, if you are looking for a short term investment in Lunars, you could keep a spreadsheet of ebay sales (Sold) to get an idea of prices.

As an example, on 20 May 2013 you could buy 10 x 2oz Snakes for $55.51AUD each. The price has increased some-what and...from about 13 July 2014 to 10 December 2015 the average price is about $88.89AUD. Recent sale on ebay was 10 Dec 2015 - $101.15.

Although some of the lunars are doing just dandy, it's the overall broad-picture one must look at to get a full appreciation of the market and of course, what is popular today could be un-wanted tomorrow.

So, it's good to look at not only lunars but also the Koalas, Kooks and new bullion products.

Often coins are over-looked and end up being the key coin to a collection, for example the 2013 Chinese privy Koala.

H

10. GRETZKY427

GRETZKY427 Active Member Silver Stacker

Diversify with the lunar, kooks and koalas, if thats your thing...

Cheers, HAPPY STACKING :)

11. fishtaco

fishtaco Active Member Silver Stacker

Take time to research on how popular Perth Mint post date silver bullion kookaburra coins are and then look at just how cheap you can purchase those same coins in "Proof"version,in many cases the proof version is now not a great deal more than the bullion version and in some cases less preferred?

Post date Luna's are expensive to buy and now every man and his dogs mint are churning out Luna coins every year to jump on the band wagon. in my opinion you may expect that the future premium of latest releases and future release Luna's may fade into the minus or even to just just above spot, sort of like the kook proofs are heading!

Perth Mint Introduced the Luna series coins purly to attract sales from the ever growing hugh Chinese tourist numbers to Western Australia that were out numbering all other overseas tourists combined and Perth Mint is a tourist must do!

Original S1 Luna collectors are the clear winners with these coins and all the rest are travelling on hype unless you are a collector of coins whose initial motive was collect not sell for profit.

If you dont believe me ask Bron for the truth! I live in Perth and know the score,wa is about promoting everything aussie until you want the real money then you chase the Chinese tourists. :)