Low premium silver bars

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Veritas, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Veritas

Veritas New Member

Just wondering what "a small premium to the spot price" for silver bars actually looks like?

The Bullion Baron has this to say:-

"To provide maximum liquidity I would stick with 1kg Silver bars or smaller. 10oz Silver bars are extremely popular and can be purchased for only a small premium to the spot price. Although 100oz bars and larger can be purchased for smaller premiums, if we were to see Silver head to $100 an ounce you are left trying to shift a single bar which would be worth $10,000." http://www.guidegoldsilver.com/p/what-to-buy.html

However Perth Mint Cast Silver Bars from dealers of the 10 ounce and 1 kilo variety attract premiums of around 14 and 7 percent respectively.

Is this really what he calls small premium?? :/

2. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I wouldn't call PM bars low premium, more middle range. Low premium to me are NTR, Provident, Sunshine Mint etc.

3. Veritas

Veritas New Member

Best I can see locally in Australia from dealers in the 10 Oz size is the RCM 10 oz Silver bar (Royal Canadian Mint) which if you buy 10 of them you can have for $237.50 which at a spot price of $21.30 equates to a premium of about 10% (if I'm doing the math correctly).

Is this reasonable and about the going rate for that size?

4. sterling-nz

sterling-nz Well-Known Member

I say that is a fair price.
    Here i NZ and to a lesser degree you guys in Aus have to pay more than the guys in USA .
    We have near zero coin shops here, and only slightly better in your island.
    The state on the other hand have coin shops, pawn shops and specialty metals shops coming out the wazoo.
    In the states they have to competitive as there is so much more competition than we both have.