Looking to purchase my first 1 kilo coin - perth mint dragon

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by perzbenz, Oct 23, 2012.

1. perzbenz

perzbenz New Member

So I'm looking to purchase my 1st 1 kilo coin and the one that strikes me to be the most beautiful is the Gem Eyed Dragon.

There are three that I am looking at.

Box set 1 kilo 2000 Lunar Dragon Diamond Eyed which is around $2000 / usd
    Box set 1 kilo 2012 Dragon Gem eyed which is around $1500 / usd
    SP69 1 kilo 2012 Dragon Gem eyed which is around $1500 / usd

Would it be better value to just jump the gun and purchase the yr2000? Or instead pick up a couple of box set 2012's? Or would it be wiser for the future to pick up the graded ones?

Sorry for the overflow of questions. Iv been primarily investing in only bars so I am pretty new to collector coins.

Thanks!

2. digoxin

digoxin Member Silver Stacker

I would get the 2000 diamond eye. It is going for that price at Apmex and their stock is usually in excellent condition. Prefer the 2000 dragon to the 2012 one.

3. pushingtin

pushingtin Member Silver Stacker

Are you set on getting a dragon? Why not get a 1Kg PROOF Snake, they still available at the mint (around 13 left) and it will be much more sought after (mintage only 500).

I have one and I must tell you, the snake in that size is an absolute beaut! I think it will become more sought after than the dragons you mentioned. (look at the current prices on offer on ebay for the 1KG proof dragon - was sold out it in days vs the coloured gemstone which is still available as the mintage is 5000)

All the 1KG proof lunars of 500 mintage seem to do reasonably well in the end.

4. mike titanic

mike titanic New Member

If you are looking for an investment,the 2000 dragons have held a large premium.I am also looking to get a kilo soon just for the large size of it.So any of them will do for me.However I am leaning towards a libertad at the moment.

5. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

perzbenz

Are you buying just to have a 1 kilo silver coin or are you buying for a potential capital gain in the future?

Last year the standard 1 kilo proof dragon sold very quickly, but as you have seen the 1 kilo proof snake hasn't done so well.

Also the Kilo Dragon Gemstone edition is still available from Perth as is the Snake.

If you are keen to buy the Gem Eye, I think I'd buy the Dragon before the Snake because it "may" sell-out before the snake. Be aware that the GemEye has a very large mintage of 5,000 coins.

http://www.perthmint.com.au/catalog...2012-year-of-the-dragon-gemstone-edition.aspx

Side Note
    The Kilo silver bullion coins have an unlimited mintage and the actual sales figures won't be released until the end of the series in 2019.

For the same money ($2,095AUD )as Gem Eye Kilo coin you could currently buy:

2 x 1kilo Perth Mint Bars

6 x 10oz Perth Mint bars

Or if you go to the Gold Stackers web site, even more bullion for your dollars.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is, becareful with what you buy, some of those large coloured coins are truly unique but once you spend the bucks, you may find it difficult to sell them especially when they are still readily available.

On the other hand if the spot price appreciates over the next year, you should be able to make a better % by buying and selling bullion bars or coins.

Try to work out your selling fees first before commiting to buy a large coloured coin.

Having said that, if you just want one for your collection and you have the money to burn, disregard all of the above. :)

H

6. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Listen to Holdfast.. i totally concur.. its not a wise investment compared to bullion.

7. bloomst

bloomst Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Totaly agree with holdfast. last month a few kg coin only sell for kg bar price. Even if the 1oz version is demanding a high premium...it does not transfer to kg coin.

But if that kg coin will only represent a small portion of your entire stack...why not? :D

8. phynixbullion

phynixbullion Member

Wise words HOLDFAST

9. mtforpar

mtforpar Member

If you like it an you want it.....Buy it. There is nothing wrong with having indulgences in a stack. Just be aware that you are indulging yourself by buying a high premium item and don't confuse premium with silver.