Location for face-to-face trades [trading forums]

Discussion in 'Questions & Comments' started by srebrni, Oct 13, 2011.

1. srebrni

srebrni New Member Silver Stacker

I suggest it would be useful to have people explicitly enter meet-up locations for their offers in trading forums.

Have a drop-down box with predefined list of metro areas at the Post new topic screen. The value there would insert a location as per suggested convention, i.e. this post will be seen as '[MEL] Location for face-to-face trades [trading forums]'.

That way people who are interested only in meeting face to face locally could quickly scan potential trades from new posts in trading forums. The current level of traffic makes it tedious when you are not following day to day.

If there are other people that would be interested in this, please post in this thread so GP can gauge if it's worth his trouble.

P.S. Yes, we can make it more more complex, like custom field, search filter, country and N/A as options in the value list... but simpler is usually better, and let's see if there is enough interest first.

2. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

this is a recipe for disaster IMO, who else might turn up to the meeting location?

3. srebrni

It's not the actual location of the trade (where exactly would you turn up in [MEL]]?...) - it is an indicator that F2F can be arranged privately.

Like that 'Brisbanite' moniker that you've got, but I need to click through your trade post to see it... and then you may not bother to set it up at all.

4. jnkmbx

jnkmbx Well-Known Member

[SYD] CBD or [SYD] Western Suburbs is probably as general as one can get before it gets... interesting @_@

5. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

oh I see your point, yeah it could be helpful, I had been meaning to put it on the sales thread title e.g. [BRIS] for sale

6. srebrni

Let me be specific. Long or detailed or free-text lists would be counterproductive. People would put crap in there and we'd soon end back at square one.

We'd start with just capitals in the drop-down list, i.e. SYD-MEL-BNE-PTH and "No F2F", which won't insert anything in the subject indicating seller doesn't want to meet. That's it.

Later we can add more choices as people ask, similar to airline sites where you have capitals at the top and all the less frequent choices below.

F2F works only for (major) metro areas anyway. If someone's in a country town, it's unlikely you'll meet with him/her for a trade.

7. Smoothcriminal

Smoothcriminal New Member Silver Stacker

I like to do F2F metal trades in bank lobbies in the CBD - security and seating and very confused bank staff = win :lol:

8. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yes CK got me onto that one.

9. RhythmDoctor

RhythmDoctor Active Member

I once did a trade in the Brissy Westpac with a private client - I'd just nipped over to Ainslie and then walked over the road - easiest $500 I've ever made :D