Local Tourism Restarting

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by SilverDJ, May 14, 2020.

1. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Well-Known Member

I have an AirBnB place that has had practically no bookings this year due to the bush fires and now the covid lock down, when ordinarily we would have been fully booked.
    We have now have just gotten five bookings in the last five days. Looks like people are itching to get back out.
    I'd expect the same thing to happen with airlines when local interstate travel becomes a thing, people will be desperate to take a short holiday.

mmm....shiney! likes this.
  2. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Would it all depends, on how much your ABNB was dependent on Domestic vs International booking.

even if your property was primarily domestic, there would be some decline due to higher unemployment. But better than zero international bookings

3. SilverDJ

Sure, but there are still countless people with money and the desire to get to heck out after all this lock down.
    We normally would not expect this level of daily bookings in early May.
    Very few of our guests are international, but even if you've got an AirBnB apartment in the city for example, you'd still get domestic interstate bookings.
    Anything of course is better than zero which is what practically all AirBnB and hotels have been getting for the last month or two.

4. 66rounds

66rounds Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Are you requiring individuals to prove they are compliant with legislation? Had a motel refuse a booking because I couldn't prove it was work related (could've but didn't feel like it was necessary).

5. SilverDJ

We didn't have anyone stay during the lockdown, so the question is moot. But it's not my job to police legislation and query the movements of citizens. Just like it wouldn't be the role of a cafe owner to ask patrons where they came from and what the purpose of their visit is. That ultimately must come down to personal responsibility.

metalzzz, 66rounds and spannermonkey like this.
  6. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I don't think domestic tourism can make up for lack of international tourists.

The bookings you have now are a response to easing restrictions. Long term outlook doesn't look great, especially when the recession / depression is up-to-speed and locals don't have money / jobs.

7. SilverDJ

For many yes, but as I said, we have always gotten mostly local bookings, couples and families getting away for the weekend, so within a couple of hours drive at most.

8. SilverDJ

Another half dozen bookings on our AirBnB, people are going nuts booking holidays for the next couple of months.
    Within the span of two weeks we have gone from zero bookings to practically fully booked. Should have raised the prices!

9. LiverBird

LiverBird Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Good to hear :)

10. Ag bullet

Ag bullet Well-Known Member

QLD premier doesn't want our borders open until there has been no community transmission in NSW and Vic for 2 incubation periods, which means september.
    tourism operators were expecting june. "it's for our safety"
    tourism might be quite local indeed.

meanwhile 3 people died in a car accident. more than from covid that week. why not ban cars and shut down entire transport industry?? it's just not safe enough. i mean who wants to live life with anything more than 0% chance of dying?

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    Gresham's Law and yuripuka like this.
  11. JohnnyBravo300

JohnnyBravo300 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I just got home from Telluride an hour or so ago, noticed more big rvs on the road on the way home and lots of motorcycles. And its memorial weekend here in the states.
    People are starting to do what they want more and more.
    Today when I got back to town I stopped at safeway for ice and limes and they have a sign on the door to please wear a mask or dont enter.
    I was glad to see that I wasn't the only one not wearing a mask. There was an entire mexican family there with kids and all running up and down the isles with no masks touching everything they could reach haha.

I would try to play the "no hablos english" thing but I'm a red headed white guy so I just have to straight up refuse to wear a mask.

At work I have had to wear a mask a time or two but I figure its work and its required uniform for the day whether I like it or not.
    If you dont like it take a hike and good luck finding a job these days, so I suck it up.

Theres no way I'm wearing one on my free time and they can bite me. If they feel safer wearing a piece of paper on their face then let them.
    We stayed at the hot springs inn in Ouray (little switzerland) while on the road and I was out of beer. The town code now is that you have to wear a mask inside any business so I just went without for a couple of days. I was too tired to deal with it after work and lost interest in beer which never happens.
    Even when it comes to a necessity of life that a man practically cant live without they didnt get my business.

12. JohnnyBravo300

Another double. That means something. Maybe I should trade all my metals for a lottery ticket.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  13. raven

raven Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

^^^^^^^
    " I was too tired to deal with it after work and lost interest in beer which never happens."

You've got the big C man !
    better start drinking to check.
    :)

14. SilverDJ

The bookings aren't stopping, we've averaged one every day for almost the last two weeks which is unprecedented. And all the people booking are saying the same thing "We want to escape the city and the current craziness for a bit".

15. leo25

leo25 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

What craziness? Things seemed more crazy before and after the lock down. Today the roads are congested again, shopping malls are crowded with people. The lockdown should have been a relax holiday for many, but bizarrely people found it to be “crazy”.

People found having too much free time unpleasant, so they now need to spend money on a holiday to get away and have free time. And this is the reason why I don’t understand people.

16. JohnnyBravo300

17. SilverDJ

leo25 likes this.