Litecoin mining

Discussion in 'Digital Currencies' started by goldpelican, Jan 10, 2014.

1. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Anyone here doing it? I have to rebuild a PC this weekend that has onboard graphics, thinking of popping an R9 270X into it and seeing what comes of it.

2. dozerz

dozerz Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

one card wont be huge returns, basically converting electrical cost to ltc. difficulty has also increased so probably better off mining alt scrypt coin like doge directly or using a most profitable pool like multipool.us

3. ninteno

ninteno Member

The asic do not need the much power. 5mh = 100 W. My 2.1Mh rig has 1100W
    No heating problem, no noise - nice
    The only thing is can you trust this company ?
    At momentary diffi the small one would return 1.3 LTC / day
    At diffi = 5000 it would be still 1/day
    If you were able to make a few fast BTC in past it seems to be a good investment

4. Lucenzo

Lucenzo Member Silver Stacker

Funny you should mention this as i have been looking into it over the last 2 days myself.

All the forums, blogs and videos i have watched make it look like it is quite profitable but all of those articles i read/watched were all done in late 2012 and early 2013 when the difficulty of the mining and availability of the coins were a lot easier and higher. So how profitable it is today i'm not exactly to sure.

I think litecoin may definately still pay off, but i know bitcoin has become quite intensive to mine now and the only real way to do it is with a product like ButterFly Labs ASIC machine because they produce huge hash rates to deal with the difficulty of it. Graphics card mining for bitcoin is pretty well dead from what i heard.

I dont know if that really helps at all, but just thought i would share what i have found and concluded over the last few days. I myself am very curious about mining litecoins too and maybe have a shot at some bitcoin aswell.

5. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

My understanding is that ASIC miners have killed off GPU mining for bitcoin, much like GPUs killed off CPU mining.

6. 2ds

2ds New Member

Do it, have some fun :)

7. rbaggio

rbaggio Active Member Silver Stacker

Was doing it for about 6 months, was way more profitable at the start.

Unless your power is free or almost free, I don't think it will be profitable.

8. Lucenzo

Based on what I read the reason asic's are the way of bitcoin mining is because of the processing power it now takes to mine for them is more then u get ever really get from gpu for it to be profitable.

I could be totally wrong though, im not tech savy at all, just going by what I read.

I did find a calculator that gives you a fair estimate at what u can expect to gain from your set up which did shed abit of light on it for me.

http://www.bitcoinx.com/profit/

hope you that helps/ link works

9. long88

long88 Member

difficulty have increased from 31xx to ~3815 in the last 2 couple days... some dude have come in and put in about 12 Gh/s miner...

getting harder to mine... and this could run into the situation of bitcoin as well.

and no stock of 280x card at all in the country.. and the motherboard that can run 3x pcie..

so have to do it with stock standard pc.. with 1x pcie..

270x will give you about 450 kh/s

have a look at this

https://litecoin.info/Mining_Hardware_Comparison

10. hyphenated

hyphenated Active Member

I'm dubious about an ASIC miner, for a couple of reasons:

BTC has demonstrated that there are very well-heeled consortia that will get in first, get in hard, and ram the difficulty through the roof. The only current saving grace is that LTC has been a bit more difficult, and the benefits are not so pronounced. Still, it seems reasonable that there will be an arms race, with FPGAs having a moment in the sun, followed by ASICs and then different and finer chip architectures. Look at the price of an Erupter these days.

The people who made the money sold the pickaxes (or in some cases purchased a pickaxe preorder, then turned around and sold immediately on delivery or prior).

Concerns: Pre-order (pre-mine, pre-empt, premonition)...

If and when the arms race commences in earnest, expect the current dearth of Radeon GPUs to reverse and a whole load of mining gear appear on eBay, nonetheless, you can still use a graphics card for gaming, whereas an ASIC box that is outdated is a paperweight.

Still, a neat implementation might be a talking point for a year, wheras my mining rigs are not a thing of beauty :)

11. dozerz

dozerz Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

12. tozak

tozak Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I tried mining Litecoin but too difficult now, agree the best way atm is to mine DOGE and covert to LTC.

Cryptsy seem quite good now, didn't rate them before but now after the website improvements it's quite a good site. You can covert DOGE directly to LTC with a min. trade now of only 10 DOGE at only 0.30% fee.

Referral link below,

https://www.cryptsy.com/users/register?refid=113916

If you want you can probably even cover the fee with a couple hits from a DOGE faucet and have it directed to your Cryptsy DOGE address

http://www.dogefaucet.com/

13. hyphenated

hyphenated Active Member

" I have to rebuild a PC this weekend..."

Ooops - realised I was commenting on the ASIC rig, not the original thought.

Litecoin (and occasional altcoin) mining is fun, potentially profitable, and can be done without too much hassle.

Why not whip the mobo out, knock together a simple open rig or just a mobo stand-off breadboard, and plug in a couple of cards? I have a test rig running with two R9 270x on a 600W PSU that performs fine (about 450khash per GPU). This is without risers or external fans (270x gigabyte run pretty cool). This baby is solo mining altcoins (LTC are too hard and require a pool) at 910khash, temps are around 68 degrees.

I'll put some photos up if you want.

There are a few tricks I'm happy to share.

14. Lucenzo

How did you go GP, any luck with it all mate?

15. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

put your rig on UPS with battery back-up and install on off-peak meter.