Lint Marks?

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by Catseye, May 23, 2012.

1. Catseye

Catseye New Member

I picked up an OMP 2010 90th Anniversary Shanghai Mint silver Panda w/ box & COA recently, paying over the average price ($155.19) on PandaStats.
    It was advertised as "No scratches, No marks, No oxidation spots".
    When it came in I found what looks to be a small rim ding and a lint mark on the field of the obverse.
    Should I contact the seller and ask for a different coin?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. low

low New Member

Rule #1 - Never buy a questionable coin. It has to be an absolute "No question, yes, I just love it". Otherwise don't buy.

Rule #2 - Never buy a potentially hard to sell coin, unless the coin will be in your collection permanently.

With that in mind, I will return the coin.

For me, things like lint marks, die cracks, etc, etc, is good for general knowledge, and if you really keen, it can be a good numismatics research project, but that's all. Very few collectors will get excited about this thing. Most will see this as problem and avoid it.

The best of the worst experience I have is, a wealthy collector told me he will not buy my coin because he think the die crack on my coin is a scratch. I assured him that is die crack, he just cannot accept it.

Even if your holder has a scratch it could be a problem to wealthy collector. Sigh! When people are too rich to buy coin, every minute detail could be a problem. Bear this in mind when you are buying coin.

3. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

A lint mark does not (should not) affect the quality of the coin. Anything that happens at the mint is not (should not) be considered damage.

I should clarify, in the minting proceess

4. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

Its truth. Will no affect the grade.
    But im with low, affect the sell price.
    i prefer to buy a nice coin than a lint mark coin for the same price.

5. low

low New Member

Technically yes. Practically how many people agree when you try to sell?

Given two 70 grade coin, one with lint mark, another one no lint mark. Which one is easier to sell? My limited experience tell me to avoid one with lint mark.

Actually "Anything that happens at the mint (minting process) is not (should not) be considered damage". Arr. That is one single most dangerous statement when you buy coins for investment. Perhaps less than 1% of collector actually know what minting process is. The other 99% will see that as problem.

It is like toning. Some like it, some don't. That is questionable. When you buy a questionable coin, you have much smaller market that want to buy your coin. People who hate toned coin will not buy your coin.

If you buy pristine bright white silver with absolutely no toning, no milks spot, and you make sure it stay in the same condition. You have the entire world of collectors who want to buy your coin.

Anything questionable, or when there is no right or wrong answer, could well be, wrong. Don't buy.

That is what I am trying to say.

6. Catseye

Catseye New Member

Thank you gentlemen, I will contact the seller & see if he will exchange it.